Author Topic: S.B. Peck of Surrey  (Read 5084 times)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: S.B. Peck of Surrey
« Reply #18 on: Monday 30 May 16 10:59 BST (UK) »
Mabel died on 16 November 1930. Beloved wife of Sydney Britton Peek and youngest daughter of Mr & Mrs F H Stephens of Guernsey. (Surrey Mirror 21 November 1930)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ChrisWd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 30 May 16 11:13 BST (UK) »
So, I'm guessing he must have married Mabel sometime late 1926/early 1927 in Guernsey.

He certainly didn't hang around marrying Helen Hulme following Mabel's death as his second marriage was held in the first quarter 1931.

Chris
Ward, Darby, Drake, Willmott, Langley

Offline ceford

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello! I searched for info on Helen Peek years ago, without success. I don't know what prompted me to search again this evening. Helen Peek was my aunt - my mother being her younger sister Agnes Hulme. Many of the details mentioned in this thread I remember being mentioned by mother and other aunts Ada and (Ma)Ria. About the sister who married a millionaire and then died, about her daughter - the cousin I have never met, Sid Peek living in Deal at the time my aunt Ada kept a hotel there.

I have a picture of Helen Peek in an oval frame on my wall. And I have a number of family photographs: Helen and Sid (I presume) standing beside a classy car, my mother holding baby Gwen outside Fraser Heath (Boxhill), the four sisters outside Fraser Heath (for the funeral?) and several others. I will try uploading one!

Offline ChrisWd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 19 January 17 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Excellent photos, especially the one of the couple next to the car.  PL817 is a 6.5 litre Speed Six Bentley which was delivered to Sidney in June 1930.  A lovely car, fitted with a Weymann saloon body.

In April 1931 he took delivery of another Bentley, reg no. PL7419, which was an 8 litre model finished with a black Vanden Plas saloon body.  I'm guessing he may have traded in PL817 when he bought this.  Given Sidney and Helen were married sometime during the first quarter of 1931 this photo may have been taken just before PL7419 was delivered in April. Sidney is wearing a black armband in the photo.  Do you know the significance of this?  It may help us date the photo more precisely.

In December the same year (1931) he bought a very special Bentley, reg. no.GK8443, which was one of the 50 limited edition supercharged 'Blower' Bentleys.  It was fitted with a beautiful boat-tail body produced by Gurney Nutting coachworks and closely resembled the car specially built for the Bentley Motor Company chairman and owner, Woolf Barnato.  Sidney apparently only used the Blower sparingly and factory records show it had only covered 5,600 miles by January 1934.  In mid-1934 Sidney sold both the 8 litre and the Blower Bentley and moved on to Lagonda cars.  He raced a Lagonda Rapide in 1935.  His old Blower Bentley survives today and is a very famous car, worth many millions.  It was given the nickname 'The Green Hornet' by one of it's later owners.

Thank you for sharing the photos.....very much a bonus!

Regards,
Chris

Offline ceford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 19 January 17 12:27 GMT (UK) »
I did not notice that the other car picture I have has a different number: PL7412 (attached). You mentioned PL7419 - is that a typo?

Cliff

Offline ChrisWd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 19 January 17 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cliff,

No, it's not a typo.   PL7412 looks like a Morris Oxford 6 saloon car to me.  It probably predates his Bentleys by a year or two.

There's a very good website called www.vintagebentleys.org which allows you to search for specific vintage Bentley registration numbers.  I haven't done an exhaustive search but Sidney Peek owned at least three Bentleys.

Regards,
Chris

Offline Fanny159

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 05 July 20 17:30 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have just read the posts naming Helen Peek.  Would love to connect with Clifford Ford.   Helen Peek was my grandmother.  Baby Gwen was my mother....
Fanny Snaith.

Offline Fanny159

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 05 July 20 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hi - all these posts are fascinating as they are mentioning my grandfather and grandmother who I never knew - Sydney Britton Peek and Helen Peek  (Ellen Hulme).  My mother was Gwendonline Helen Freda Peek - known as Wendy.  She was born 26th November 1931 and died 9th November 2005.  She had 3 children from 2 husbands. She was married and divorced 3 times - similar to her father, Sydney Britton Peek who was actually married 4 times. His fourth wife was called Margaret, whom I believe was his nurse.  they married shortly before he died.  I am looking to connect with Clifford Ford as he is a relative.... so ...

Master Peek was called Alan

Offline ChrisWd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 09:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Fanny,

I'm pleased I opened up a thread that's attracted some interest from the family.  I hope you can make some good contacts here.

If you have any photos of Sydney's cars I would love to see them.

Best regards,
Chris