Author Topic: Legates of Henlow  (Read 1485 times)

Offline bloozhead

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Legates of Henlow
« on: Saturday 28 May 16 18:33 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me fill in some blanks regarding my line of the Legates (and variable spellings) of Henlow, and neighbouring villages? My comnection is..

Maternal great grandmother Elizabeth Leggett 1863-1952, married to William Ford, living in London.
Elizabeth's father was George Legget 1838-1894, b in Henlow, d in Hitchin, m to Mary Ann Young
George's father was Charkes Legate b 1812 of Henlow, m to Liza Larman of Henlow b 1816
George's father was Thomas Legate of Henlow b 1771, d 1838, m to Ann Crouch b 1771

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Legates of Henlow
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 May 16 20:06 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

I have Charles Legate and Eliza Larman, and I thought I had all the Legates in Henlow in my tree, but I don't have a George born 1838, although I do have a son George baptised in 1834 who I show as marrying Mary Hare. Now I'm going to have to look for him!

What do you need to know?

David

Later. I have reservations that your George, whose age in censuses consistently pointed to a birth in 1837/8, is the George son of Charles and Eliza, who was baptised in 1834. Do you have his marriage cert to Mary Ann, which should name his father?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 May 16 21:52 BST (UK) »
George's father  wasn't Charles Legate. Here's a transcript of their marriage cert;

Date 5 Jan 1861
Place   Thriplow, Cambs
Groom's first name(s)   George (x)
Groom's last name   LEGGETT
Groom's marital status   bac
Groom's age   22
Groom's occupation   groom
Groom's residence   of Hitchin in the County of Hertford
Groom's father's first name(s)   George
Groom's father's occupation   lab
Bride's first name(s)   Mary Ann
Bride's last name   YOUNG
Bride's marital status   sp
Bride's age    21
Bride's occupation   [blank]
Bride's residence   otp
Bride's father's first name(s)   William
Bride's father's occupation   lab

Was he the son of George Legate and Charlotte Ward, who was baptised in 1833 in Shillington? If he was he clearly lied about his age on marriage and for the rest of his life! And he didn't name a daughter Charlotte. I do in fact have him in my tree as marrying Mary Ann Young, but I hadn't followed him down which would have thrown up the anomaly with his age;

Still working on him. The big problem will come proving that George born 1838 Henlow living in Hitchin father George, is the same George son of George & Charlotte baptised in Shillington in 1833;

Don't rewrite your tree though, as the George who married Charlotte was another son of Thomas and Ann

David

Seems as though I knew all this many years ago - see a thread at http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=196800.0

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Bearcub

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 January 17 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me fill in some blanks regarding my line of the Legates (and variable spellings) of Henlow, and neighbouring villages? My comnection is..

Maternal great grandmother Elizabeth Leggett 1863-1952, married to William Ford, living in London.
Elizabeth's father was George Legget 1838-1894, b in Henlow, d in Hitchin, m to Mary Ann Young
George's father was Charkes Legate b 1812 of Henlow, m to Liza Larman of Henlow b 1816
George's father was Thomas Legate of Henlow b 1771, d 1838, m to Ann Crouch b 1771

Hello - only just found this site and don't know if you're still active, but it looks like your Elizabeth is my Emily's sister!

I have just ordered father George and Mother Mary Ann (Young)'s marriage cert as I'm trying to work out both George and Mary Ann's fathers names.

Did you get any further?

Thanks

Offline Bearcub

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 January 17 23:33 GMT (UK) »
George's father  wasn't Charles Legate. Here's a transcript of their marriage cert;

Date 5 Jan 1861
Place   Thriplow, Cambs
Groom's first name(s)   George (x)
Groom's last name   LEGGETT
Groom's marital status   bac
Groom's age   22
Groom's occupation   groom
Groom's residence   of Hitchin in the County of Hertford
Groom's father's first name(s)   George
Groom's father's occupation   lab
Bride's first name(s)   Mary Ann
Bride's last name   YOUNG
Bride's marital status   sp
Bride's age    21
Bride's occupation   [blank]
Bride's residence   otp
Bride's father's first name(s)   William
Bride's father's occupation   lab

Was he the son of George Legate and Charlotte Ward, who was baptised in 1833 in Shillington? If he was he clearly lied about his age on marriage and for the rest of his life! And he didn't name a daughter Charlotte. I do in fact have him in my tree as marrying Mary Ann Young, but I hadn't followed him down which would have thrown up the anomaly with his age;

Still working on him. The big problem will come proving that George born 1838 Henlow living in Hitchin father George, is the same George son of George & Charlotte baptised in Shillington in 1833;

Don't rewrite your tree though, as the George who married Charlotte was another son of Thomas and Ann

David

Seems as though I knew all this many years ago - see a thread at http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=196800.0

Hello David, only just found this site!

The marriage you have detailed here is one I have been looking for! I had managed to find it as a civil registration, but with no detail of fathers. I have literally just ordered it from the GRO to try and found out both George's fathers name and Mary Ann's (although I was already fairly sure her father was William from a census I found).

I was struggling more with George as I can't work out which 1841 and 1851 census may be him. I had found the one with the Charles and Eliza, but it didn't 'feel' quite right (age was about 3 years out which I know isn't unusual, but less common with children).

George and Charlotte rings a bell as I'm fairly sure I have seen that in someone else's tree, but couldn't find any sources cited..... I guess I'm going to have to be patient and wait for the marriage cert and hope it helps me out...

Thanks

Andrea