Author Topic: Bonds and old letter  (Read 1056 times)

Offline wildwitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bonds and old letter
« on: Monday 30 May 16 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hi
Does anybody know what the following in an account book of a solicitor in 1791 could mean?

To Lincoln Bk in discharge princ. & Int. on bond £1256 12s

There is a very strange letter that belongs with this which this solicitor sent back to the Esq in question:

Dear Sir I was rather hurt on receiving your letter by Mr Ashton to find you that me either weak enough to suppose Guardians of an Infant would not consent to an (sadly illegible word), or that knowing they could I was (illegible) enough to (illegible) the contrary to carry a favorit print. I flatter myself, if you will read my letter to Colo Manners you will find yourself not warranted in either conjection. If I recollect the words they were 'The' Guardians of his infant heirs may not consent 'or think themselves competent to do so.' I conceive these words carry a very Different meaning. The words may not consent' certainly implies they might if they pleased and the subsequent words 'or think themselves competent to do so' as certainly implies that it was for their consideration & discretion not for that of parliament. Had I not set a high value upon your good opinion& esteem I should not have troubled you with this letter

He then mentions that he has received the above sum, so I wonder if the two are related. The letter appears in a box with letters relating to the inclosure of a local village, where several men are writing back and forth to each other re their opinion on this. This letter appears in the box, but I am not sure if it relates to this, since I think the Esq also possibly had an illegitimate child around this time. I am just very confused

thank you for any help

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Bonds and old letter
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 May 16 14:57 BST (UK) »
It looks to me like a Bond set up for the maintenance & education of a Testators children with some interest being paid for that purpose.
The argument appears to be in regard to the Bond being converted to cash.
The others involved would I should think be the Trustees.
Ideally you need to see the Testators will.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 May 16 15:50 BST (UK) »
Hi
Does anybody know what the following in an account book of a solicitor in 1791 could mean?

To Lincoln Bk in discharge princ. & Int. on bond £1256 12s

The simple answer to your question seems to be that a bond has been cashed (principal plus interest).  The reasons for that may need the help of an old-style legally trained mind (not mine).
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline wildwitch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 May 16 16:00 BST (UK) »
I am trying to prove that my 4 times great grandmother (b abt 1790) was this Esquire's illegitimate daughter (he himself was married). A woman by her name appears in his will for no apparent reason in 1811 and inherited £500. She was then in the care of a 70 year old respectable widow and aged abt 20-21 years old.

The note is from the account book of his friend, executor and solicitor and the letter was sent to the Esquire by his solicitor, but appears amongst other letters in which several men argue about land relating to inclosure, where it may have been placed accidentally.

I am wondering whether this could relate to the birth of an illegitimate daughter or whether they are just talking jibberish in relation to land sales. The parliament bit also confuses me
thank you for everybody's help, much appreciated

Offline wildwitch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 May 16 16:04 BST (UK) »
I wish I could read every word of the letter. This word I cannot read and is what the guardians would not consent to.
Don't know if anybody can read jibberish better than me
thank you

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 May 16 16:29 BST (UK) »
'Inclusion'?

Almost impossible to know without seeing more of the document.  RootsChat has a board dedicated to deciphering difficult handwriting, so you could post a larger extract there.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline wildwitch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 May 16 17:55 BST (UK) »
Yes that could indeed be Inclusion, thank you

The letter would now so far read:

Dear Sir I was rather hurt on receiving your letter by Mr Ashton to find you that me either weak enough to suppose Guardians of an Infant would not consent to an (sadly illegible word=== Inclusion), or that knowing they could I was (illegible) enough to (illegible) the contrary to carry a favorit print.

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 May 16 18:38 BST (UK) »
'Inclusion'?

Good shot - I would guess Inclosure, meaning another document enclosed with this one?  Or some parcel of land?

Show us the other impossible words?
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 May 16 21:59 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

Looks like an E at the beginning so I would say "exclusion" which reads better in the context.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)