Author Topic: Kathleen Ryan  (Read 1880 times)

Offline roxy51

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kathleen Ryan
« on: Tuesday 31 May 16 07:53 BST (UK) »
Looking for information on Kathleen Ryan, born in 1879 in Walgett NSW, parent Daniel Ryan, Elizabeth Moore.  This is according to her marriage and death certificates.  But I cannot find any info on her.  Sometimes known as Kate Ryan, Catherine Ryan, Catherine Taylor.  She married John Roland Byrnes in Yuelba Qld in 1915.  May have lived in the St George Qld area with a Mrs Kelly prior to this. She lived in the Yuelba area from about 1901.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kathleen Ryan
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 June 16 12:51 BST (UK) »
Sometimes known as Kate Ryan, Catherine Ryan, Catherine Taylor.
Kathleen/Kate/Catherine aren't unusual variants, but in what records is her name listed as Catherine Taylor?

<i> May have lived in the St George Qld area with a Mrs Kelly prior to this.</i>
Prior to 1915, when exactly? Have you been able to identify Mrs Kelly?

<i>She lived in the Yuelba area from about 1901.</i>
Again, sources?

It's interesting to look at births for this couple - I can see the marriage in 1915 (middle name Rowland), but the births trail says something else (parents names in brackets)

1908 Alice Byrnes (John Roland and Kate nee Ryan)
1910 Hazel Ryan (Kate Ryan)
1914 Kathleen Ryan (Kathleen Ryan) - married as "Ryan known as Byrnes"

(Alice and Hazel Byrnes, sisters, are writing joint letters to Children's Corner in the Daily Standard in 1923)

Death records show also a 1971 death for Florence Upton, parents John Rowland Byrnes and Kathleen Ryan, possibly she was born later (past the freely available births?) Were there any more children you know of? Was there a reason for the delay to the marriage?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline roxy51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 June 16 05:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. A daughter Florence was born 1905, but think she was registered under Taylor. You are correct that Kathleen and John married in 1915, my mother was born in 1916 and another son in 1921 (I think). The other children all came from the same union, but not sure about Florence.

Its what went on before this, I can't seem to find. Death cert for Kathleen states she was born in Walgett nsw in 1879 but I can't find evidrnce of this. She died before I was born and my mother never spoke of her. I think she may have been married before and had other children. Carey and Taylor seems to pop up. She was 35 when she married John and he was 65!!  He had 10 children from his first marriage.

I have been searching for her past for a long time with no luck.

Many thanks for your reply and anything else u could suggest.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 June 16 08:31 BST (UK) »
Interestingly the only Daniel and Elizabeth Ryan having children in NSW at the right time are in Cooma, married 1872 (Elizabeth's maiden name is Shepherd), and they have 10 children between 1875 and 1895 but no Kathleen (or similar).  :-\

Offline roxy51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 June 16 09:15 BST (UK) »
Maddy
Thanks for the reply. I found these before, but I dont think they are mine. WALGETT was on kathleens deaths cert as the place of birth.
Appreciate your input :)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 June 16 04:31 BST (UK) »
No worries. I only meant to say that as death certificates are notoriously inaccurate (only accurate so far as the person reporting knows), that something is not right - either the names, age or place. I know it doesn't help you much though!

Also noted a few births in Queensland for Catherine/Kathleen Ryan with no father noted from about 1891 to 1899 - did you think some/any of these might be your Kathleen's? (I know 1891 sounds a bit early if she was born in 1879, however again, if only going by a death certificate, age could be a bit fluid.

Offline roxy51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 01:49 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your input, I will keep plugging on! :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 05:46 BST (UK) »
....and another son in 1921 (I think).

Son John was born in 1920.

http://www.ww2roll.gov.au/Veteran.aspx?serviceId=A&veteranId=37222

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2192674/BYRNES,%20JOHN%20ROLAND%20MCGINLAY

BYRNES.— In loving memory of QX38201Trooper John Rowland Byrnes, died of illness in New Guinea, 9th February, 1943. Inserted by Kathleen, Gordon, & John Butler, Surat.

BYRNES. — In loving memory of QX3823 Trooper John Rowland Byrnes, died of illness in New Guinea, 9th February, 1943. Inserted by Hazel & Walter Harris & Family, Surat.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/42012961

In Queensland, service personnel from both world wars were included in the registered deaths (prefix 'F' for WW1 and 'S' for WW2).

S1043
John Roland MacGinley    BYRNES
Parents: John Roland BYRNES & Kathleen TAYLOR

Do you have the birth cert for Florence born in 1905?  Was she born in Yuleba?

Debra  :)

Offline roxy51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 08:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Debra
No I do not have a bc for Florence, and I don't think her family has either,  but I did find a Florence to mother Catherine Taylor in 1905. She is a mystery indeed. She  could not read or write so hence the different names ;)