Author Topic: Information about this pocket watch  (Read 4932 times)

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great grandma Elsie (right) & sister Evelyn (left)
    • View Profile
Information about this pocket watch
« on: Tuesday 31 May 16 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

This pocket watch was passed down to my parents when my grandfather passed away, but we don't know hardly anything about it. I've been trying to do some internet research on it but I don't know if I've gone off track (because quite frankly I don't have much of a clue about dating pocket watches!).

I'll leave some photos here, and some information about the detail on it in case the photos don't turn out great.  :)

Holly

Inside of back cover:
4 hallmarks, one of a lion’s body with front leg raised (probably a standard silver mark indicating Sterling .925), one of either a crest or lion’s head, letter ‘A’ (according to http://www.925-1000.com/dlc_london.html the A looks most like that of the year 1876), and makers mark ‘L.W H.H’ The HH part, according to http://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Makers/Sheffield-H.html#HH may refer to the Harrison Brothers who were based on Norfolk Street in Sheffield.
+   number 16297, with the letter D below.
+   series of scratched in marks, possibly from repair – looks like it says the following; ‘8177 [triangle] 54-7 1861-8   4754’

Opposite back cover inside:
+   [image of a crown] ‘Wm Brown   62 High Street  Sheffield’

Side opposite inner watch mechanism:

+   three hallmarks, ‘L.W H.H’, and then two hallmarks as before of lion with raised front foot, and the capital letter A. Number 16297.
+   scratches into surface, very faint and hard to read. Possibly says ‘12177 GS’, and then ‘SWC  249B’ then possibly in tiny scratched in writing  ‘211T816’ or ‘2 11 1816’. ‘11 3-15’ in bigger writing.
A Yorkshire girl tracing her ancestry.
Discovering that I'm not as English as my family once thought.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Information about this pocket watch
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 13:19 BST (UK) »
I'm not an expert, but, looking through my book of silver marks, I would say this is

Louis Weill & Henry Harburg

London 1876

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 13:29 BST (UK) »
I'm not an expert, but, looking through my book of silver marks, I would say this is

Louis Weill & Henry Harburg

London 1876

Thank you for this, I've never heard of Louis Weill and Henry Harburg before. And the date matches with what I had researched, so that's a good sign  :)

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 15:45 BST (UK) »
a picture of the watches movement, highlighting any embossed name and esp. any serial number might help ...

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 20:25 BST (UK) »
a picture of the watches movement, highlighting any embossed name and esp. any serial number might help ...

The only numbers on the pocket watch are the ones mentioned in my original post - I believe the serial number may be 16297.
The pocket watch is no longer in working order, but a bit of the mechanism can be seen in the image below. Hope some of this helps.

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 June 16 13:59 BST (UK) »
I was hoping for a serial number on the Movement .... which is quite a basic one, and key wound (vs later Stem wound & set models .... early USA manufacture late 1850s into 1860s are far more sophisticated) - similar to this pic of the movement of a Waltham (AWW Co Ltd) Crescent St Grade 18-size key wound model c1869-71 ...

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTU5OVgxNjAw/z/xTsAAOSwIUNXF6qf/$_57.JPG

The 16297 just relates the case, and as expected is on both the inside back cover and the inner cuvette cover ... 

Offline palmtrees

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 June 17 06:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Holly
Just read your post whilst searching for the silver mark of Loius Weil who was a relative of my husband 1884/1919. His family originally from the Rhineland area of Germany were watchmakers and rumour has it one brother moved to Geneva but we've not proven a link with Raymond yet! Loius moved to London as a young man where he became naturalised, married back in Germany but then he and his wife had no family. He had a company based in Covent Garden London whic was small but successful. I would really like to find a piece of his work so your photos are very interesting.