Author Topic: Children's Homes 1930s  (Read 914 times)

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Children's Homes 1930s
« on: Tuesday 31 May 16 15:59 BST (UK) »
To start with I'm not sure if this person is still alive, hence why I haven't given the name of who I'm looking for - if it would be ok let me know and I'll add it

My grandfather, Horace Cherry Simpson (1908 to 1959) was married before he married my grandmother, his first wife, Lilian Voss (1910 to 1935) died and their only daughter who was born in Leicester in 1931 was put in a children's home.

He remarried in 1938 and shortly after moved to Birmingham, his daughter didn't come to live with them (as far as I'm aware my grandmother's daughter (Annie Tiday 1928-2004) did live with them - however as she was married when my dad was born in 1957 it's possible she didn't but my dad did grow up knowing Annie as his elder sister.

After her father's death my father remembers this sister turning up on the doorstep (he estimates about 1961) but didn't stay in touch

I have no idea where to go from here (I'm assuming she was in the children's home from when Lilian died but it's possible she was only put there when he remarried) and would appreciate any information on where to look, possibly as to which children's home she was placed in, what happened to her afterwards etc

Any help much appreciated

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Children's Homes 1930s
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 16:00 BST (UK) »
sorry double posted

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 June 16 22:06 BST (UK) »
Suggest you order her birth certificate for date of birth and full name, just to help in identification.

As she would only be 85, quite likely still alive, so rootschat not really the place to help you.

If she turned up in 1961, she would have been 30, do you know if married then?

Have you tried to check her on 1939 data?

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 June 16 06:43 BST (UK) »
My dad thinks she was married (but not 100%)

Tried to check on 1939 but no luck I assume her record is closed as you said she could still be living

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 June 16 07:01 BST (UK) »
I could not see a marriage for her under her exact birth name, which is why I suggested the birth certificate to find her middle name and check all is as written on the registers (just in case something has been mis-transcribed.)

Just for interest, did you find Annie Tiday on 1939 - or has that been mis-transcribed? 

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 June 16 16:46 BST (UK) »
Can't find Annie on the 1939 census, however I believe they only updated it till 1990 and she died after this so her record would be locked,

Thinking about it though she can't be living with Horace and Bella then as there is only one closed record on their 1939 register and that must be my aunt who was born in 1938 - so where was 11 year old Annie as well?

Did find the other sister who was adopted on there though as she died in 1990, she stayed in Leicester and was with her adopted family