Author Topic: Wanting to know where this town is in Laois  (Read 2544 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wanting to know where this town is in Laois
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 June 16 14:54 BST (UK) »
Killenard doesn't seem to have been a parish. Mountmellick is not in Killenard. The beginning of the parish name looks the same as the beginning of his age which seems to be twenty. I am confused. The only thing I am sure about is they're both in Laois.
Sorry if I am being pedantic.
Evelyn

It doesn't appear in any of the Civil or RC parish lists but it does have a church.
From this http://www.portarlingtonparish.ie/map/ it appears to be a small RC parish which comes under
Portarlington. If you zoom out a bit on the map you can see it a little south east of Portarlington .

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 June 16 15:24 BST (UK) »
The church is in the townland of Ballycarroll, Civil Parish of Lea, it would of course serve surrounding townlands.

Offline SurfinNan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 June 16 15:59 BST (UK) »
That fits with some of it. Although Mountmellick is not really in the same area is it?. It is a different parish again. I always believed parishes were cut and dry but in this case seems a bit transient. A small parish within a larger parish. It is all a bit foreign to me. Trying to get my head around it all. It fits though being near Ballybrittas as on other documents it says he came from Ballybrittas or Lea. Unless I am looking at two different people. James Molloy must be common name in the area at the time.
Thanks for all your input
Evelyn

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 June 16 16:37 BST (UK) »
That fits with some of it. Although Mountmellick is not really in the same area is it?. It is a different parish again. I always believed parishes were cut and dry but in this case seems a bit transient. A small parish within a larger parish. It is all a bit foreign to me. Trying to get my head around it all.
Thanks for all your input
Evelyn

Not really unusual...  how many 1's do you see here?  or 17's?  etc

https://www.johngrenham.com/browse/county_civil.php?county=Laois
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 June 16 18:56 BST (UK) »
You have to bear in mind who was taking down his details. This form was clearly filled in at a Dublin recruitment office by someone who didn't know the area James was from.
Asked what parish, James gave the name of his local church.
Asked what town his lived near, he may have said Ballybrittas and got a funny look so when with Mountmellick because it is bigger.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 02 June 16 21:31 BST (UK) »
You have to bear in mind who was taking down his details. This form was clearly filled in at a Dublin recruitment office by someone who didn't know the area James was from.
Asked what parish, James gave the name of his local church.
Asked what town his lived near, he may have said Ballybrittas and got a funny look so when with Mountmellick because it is bigger.

I do that today naming the better known town because if I said the townland no one would know it!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline SurfinNan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 June 16 23:55 BST (UK) »
Well thank you for clearing my befuddled mind. What you all say now makes sense. I have been to Ballybrittas about 3 years ago on a trip to Ireland. Thank you for the map of parishes it will help in future.
Cheers
Evelyn
Western Australia