Author Topic: Newland Lodge, Newlandrig, Borthwick, Edinburgh. James Masterton  (Read 959 times)

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newland Lodge, Newlandrig, Borthwick, Edinburgh. James Masterton
« on: Friday 03 June 16 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hi. I am trying to trace the life of my great grandfather James Masterton 1866-1954.

I am very grateful for the help I have had on this site with the history and geography of Scotland and would like to ask again for some help please.

James was a gardener, his first child was born at Hansons Place, Coatbridge, Lanarkshire, his second, third and fourth  at Craigend Gardens, nr Milngavie, his fifth at Rochsoles Estate, Airdrie a sixth in Hamilton but I can't make out the name and then the final three were born at Newland Lodge, Newlandrig, Borthwick.

I have found a few of these places on the map but I am struggling with Newland Lodge, Newlandrig. I assume that there must have been a big garden nearby because James was the head gardener or foreman but I can't work out where this could be.
Does anyone know of any big houses or gardens near this address where James could have been working from 1905 ish-1912?
Thank you
Alison

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Newland Lodge, Newlandrig, Borthwick, Edinburgh. James Masterton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 June 16 14:52 BST (UK) »
This does not directly answer your question, but you might be interested in this link.

https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/Borthwick,_Midlothian,_Scotland

Ian
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline Hibee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Adamsrow, 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 June 16 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison

Should be somewhere in here....

http://maps.nls.uk/view/75524039#zoom=5&lat=5303&lon=6923&layers=BT

Hibee
Midlothian: Adam(s), Meikle/Muckle
Leith: Bridges
Edinburgh: Brown
Prestonpans: Bird, Inglis
Fife: Wemyss
Orkney: Brock
Ireland: Sweeney

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 June 16 15:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison

I had an aunt (now deceased) who lived nearby which is why I am interested.

There was/is a Newlandburn Lodge in the Parish of Borthwick. Described here:

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/scotland/midlothian/newlandrig#.V1GYhI-cHcu

Ian
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 June 16 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hi and thank you Ian B and Hibee

As always, Rootschat is a brilliant help. The map is great and I am going to get a copy so that I can really understand the area.
When I looked at the map I wondered about Newlandburn Lodge as well. In 1907 Clarence Masterton was born in 'Newland Borthwick, Edinburgh' and his father James was a gardener Foreman. In 1909 Alexander was born in 'Newland Lodge, Borthwick, Edinburgh' and his father was the head gardener and then in 1912 Ronald was born in 'Newland Lodge, Newlandrig, Northwick, Edinburgh' and his father was a gardener. In the 1911 census they were at Newland Lodge. There is no mention of Newlandburn but then again there is no evidence of a Newland Lodge.

I have just had another look at the 1905 valuation rolls where James is the gardener at the 'Mansion house and gardens living in a cottage. The house seems to be owned by some Bishops and is called Barncluith. In the 'season' the tenant was Lord Ruthlow (?)

I have sent a request for information to Airdrie library and they might be able to help.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 June 16 20:00 BST (UK) »
Some info here on Barncluith http://portal.historic-scotland.gov.uk/designation/GDL00048 and here https://canmore.org.uk/site/203227/hamilton-barncluith-house-terraced-gardens-and-summer-houses

The gardens there certainly look to have been of some note  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 June 16 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica

Two great replies in one day - thank you

Alison