Author Topic: Morton Family  (Read 9365 times)

Offline Ciel1962

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Morton Family
« Reply #36 on: Friday 28 July 17 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi. I've been trying to research my Mortons and Gibsons and I stumbled across this chat. I'm not sure whether they're related, but mine are both from Armagh also. My ggg grandparents, James Gibson and Mary Ann Morton, married in Tynan, co. Armagh in 1846. They came to Australia on the "Cornwall" as assisted immigrants in 1850, with their 2 daughters. One of those daughters was my gg grandmother, Sarah Jane Gibson. For some reason I had thought that Rev. James Gibson was James' father, though I've not been able to properly research this yet.
Crozier, Craike, Rochfort, Sinderberry, Watson, Holmes, Daly, Walsh, Sheedy, Souz

Offline Ciel1962

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 28 July 17 12:08 BST (UK) »
I'm just adding to my original post below. Now that I've actually read the whole thread, I see that someone (sorry, I'm new to this chat thing) actually mentioned my James Gibson and Mary Ann Morton. Wow! I'm pretty excited about that. James did die young, unfortunately, in 1860,  in the goldfields at Rocky River, near Armidale NSW. Sarah Jane Gibson, who came over here with them as a baby, married Jesse Pearsall (the son of 2 former transported convicts) who resided in Armidale and they had quite a large family. My great grandmother, Mary May Pearsall was one of their children.
I know very little about the Mortons and Gibsons beyond that, so would be grateful for any information you could share. Cheers, Cherie
Crozier, Craike, Rochfort, Sinderberry, Watson, Holmes, Daly, Walsh, Sheedy, Souz

Offline SSlh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 28 July 17 12:33 BST (UK) »
Dear Cherie,

I am so happy to be able to tell you that we certainly are family! I presume you are also in Australia. If you could email me privately at * I will be able to give/send you lots of information about our family.
Your GGG Grandfather James was the son of the Rev James Gibson (my GGG grandfather)  and Mary Ann Morton , his wife,  was the daughter of my GGG Grandfather's brother.
I really look forward to hearing from you Cherie.
Cheers,
Lyn

* See next post.

Offline Ciel1962

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 29 July 17 01:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Lyn. I've tried sending you an email twice this morning but it keeps coming back as undeliverable. I'm not sure why so I'll give you my email address and perhaps you could contact me. I'd love to hear from you.
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Rickerry

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 20 June 20 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have just discovered this site and am very excited.  I’m researching my husband’s Family Tree and he is a descendant of The Reverend James Gibson, James Gibson and Mary Ann Morton, Jesse Pearsall and Sarah Jane Gibson, Mary May Souz.  Would love any information available.  Many thanks