Author Topic: Morton Family  (Read 9374 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Morton Family
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 09:44 GMT (UK) »
You can search Valuation Revision Books (dates range from printed version of Griffith's Valuation until c1930)-
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/information-and-services/search-archives-online/valuation-revision-books

Manooney townland is in Armagh Poor Law Union/Civil Registration District so you could look for deaths in that district (registration start 1864 so if he died before that date there will be no death certificate).

Don't think this has been mentioned yet?
Letters of Administration (with the Will annexed) of the personal estate of Frances Morton late of Manooney County Armagh Spinster who died 6 June 1884 at same place were granted at Armagh to Alexander Morton of Manooney Farmer the Nephew and the Residuary Legatee. Will mentions brother David Morton, nephew Alexander Morton, niece Frances Morton, niece Mary Jane Maginnis.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline SSlh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your help! I will search along those lines and hope for a break through. That information has helped a lot,

Offline GCurrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 18 December 16 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I am the gg grandaugher of Alexander Morton (Manooney )
Who inherited the farm from his aunt Frances Morton ( according to Proni records) have very little information about Alex Morton except that he fathered an illegitimate child  (also named Alexander Morton) in approx 1880. From whom I am decended. I would be grateful for any info. Thanks

Offline SSlh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 19 December 16 00:32 GMT (UK) »
 G Currie,
Wonderful to here from you as I think we are related through our Morton lines. I too am trying to find out more about Alexander and in fact, all the lines back before David Morton. I have been years and years "digging deep"into the family history........ but to date have little except to slowly piece the lives of the brothers together. I do have a copy of Frances's will but I'm sure you would have that. Let me know if you don't.
Do you know what happened to Alexander's wife Ann? They seemed to vanish from 'sight" and we thought moved to another area. I will look through what I have on Alexander later today and certainly get back to you. Do you know of any Morton family still living in Ireland?
Best wishes, Lyn

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 19 December 16 11:51 GMT (UK) »

Offline SSlh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 19 December 16 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Dathai. It is of great interest!

Offline Discoveringjoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi I think you've been looking for me! I'm from the David Morton descendants that immigrated to Australia on the 'Charles'
Mary kane /Sarah Gibson. David Morton was my dads g grandfather. I'm travelling to Ireland next week to research further 26/2/17. Do you know the address of the Presbyterian churc he we nt to. My dad said David Morton was minister of Presbyterian church but dad is 87 now and memory failing.  I'd like to know why the whole family
left and perhaps we could swap photos".

Offline GCurrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 23 February 17 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi. That's very interesting as we had also heard there was a prebyterian minister in the Alexander morton family. I am not sure which church he would have belonged to. There are 2 in the area Lislooney presbyterian and Knappagh Presbyterian. Out of interest I live in the area of Tynan County Armagh and would be interested in meeting up when u r in N Ireland. Unfortunately my knowledge is very limited on account of lack of information but maybe we could fill in the gaps? Let me know what you think? Kind regards Gail.

Offline SSlh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 24 February 17 06:44 GMT (UK) »
Dear Gail and "Discovering Joy". I'm sorry I don't know your name! It's lovely to hear from you both.
Gail I am so excited to have found family in Ireland as I have been searching for 50 years without any success, and just recently asked my friend who is an Irish researcher, to do some "exploring" for me!
I know a great deal about our Gibson family but very little about my Morton/ Kane ancestors.

There is obviously a very strong Morton Gibson link and the Rev James Gibson who was Presbyterian minister of Lislooney between 1801 and 1834 died in the house of David Morton at Tynan in October 1864. It appears that the Morton family went to Lislooney church . He resigned from there in 1834 through ill health but went on to live another thirty odd years and outlived his successor! His wife was Jane Wright and maybe he resigned to look after her.

The Rev James Gibson's daughter Sarah Rice Gibson married Charles Morton (my GG Grandfather)
at Lislooney church and their children were baptised there. It seems that the Rev James Gibson's son James Gibson also married a Morton ...... Mary Jane Morton and came out with two daughters. He had TB I believe and he died quite young also losing children to the disease.

I am in Cambodia and so all my documents and information are at home. I will be in touch again after I return home on the 2nd of March.

Very best wishes to you both and I hope you both meet up Gail. Would love to meet you when I come over also.
Lyn