Author Topic: How many matches do you have? Plus, improvements for Ancestry  (Read 6876 times)

Offline RebeccaNZ

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How many matches do you have? Plus, improvements for Ancestry
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 24 June 18 01:51 BST (UK) »
I only have something like 153 4th cousins or closer on ancestry!! I think that's because I have alot of European heritage. I'm not sure but it really doesn't seem as many as other people on here!!!

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 24 June 18 06:50 BST (UK) »
I have 200 4th cousins or nearer
Mother and paternal aunt have tests so I can see who matches each side
There is a 2nd cousin and 3 3rd cousins
Starting to get circles

Maternal great  grandfather was Russian  Jewish   so often can tell from jewish surname or location of ancestors if connection is thru him even if don't have the names of  trees

I was hoping to find some paternal scottish relatives who'd  stayed in Scotland  but it seems the people more likely to do DNA are the descendants of emigrated relatives
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 24 June 18 09:49 BST (UK) »
You lucky bunch - I have only one cousin, fourth or closer, and on contact he tells me he was adopted and has no idea of his background!
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 24 June 18 10:00 BST (UK) »
Generally, are people less interested in cousins who do not share a family line, i.e. descendants of females who have married and changed their name?

Martin

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 24 June 18 13:58 BST (UK) »
Generally, are people less interested in cousins who do not share a family line, i.e. descendants of females who have married and changed their name?

Martin

As I have only 1 confirmed match in my maiden name, I would have paid a fortune if I wasn't interested in other lines.
I try to follow the ladies as well. I figure that someone who has only a few people in their tree is unlikely to have a name that I know. By following the daughters of sons of daughters etc. I might come across a name we both recognize!!

It does mean that my tree is getting quite big, but it does work.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 24 June 18 16:34 BST (UK) »

Martin

All my matches that have responded have been either from one of my great grandmother's sisters on my mother's side and one of one grandfather's sisters on my father's side.
The only know match from a male so far is on my mother's side and it's an unnamed father so we have only worked out which family not which man.
Plus most of the people who have responded have been female.
I'd be at nothing without the ladies. ;D

I did have one guy respond with 'I'm not doing my grandmother's side'

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 05:46 BST (UK) »
Even if you don't know names I find searching by location very useful
The magnifying glass gives you choice of searching by surname or location
For example 1 maternalgreat grandfather was from Bugbrooke in Northamptonshire
I typed exact village and got 5th cousins matches 1 lady had a big tree and we share our 5x gparents So worked out who linked us tho she didn't have my grandmothers grandfather  nimrod on her tree but had his parents ....always useful to add all siblings ....on each generation.

Other great grandfather was from Latvian found 4th and 5th cousin in America  with no name shares because they didn't know maiden name of grandmother or great grandmother
We were linked thru his half sisters so we come out as 5th cousins but are actually 4th ....sharing 1 great grandparent not two

1 lady had the great grandfather's name and photos of him ...I was able to give her their Russian history back several generations and 1901census in uk and school records
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline RebeccaNZ

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 08:59 BST (UK) »
Even if you don't know names I find searching by location very useful
The magnifying glass gives you choice of searching by surname or location
For example 1 maternalgreat grandfather was from Bugbrooke in Northamptonshire
I typed exact village and got 5th cousins matches 1 lady had a big tree and we share our 5x gparents So worked out who linked us tho she didn't have my grandmothers grandfather  nimrod on her tree but had his parents ....always useful to add all siblings ....on each generation.

Other great grandfather was from Latvian found 4th and 5th cousin in America  with no name shares because they didn't know maiden name of grandmother or great grandmother
We were linked thru his half sisters so we come out as 5th cousins but are actually 4th ....sharing 1 great grandparent not two

1 lady had the great grandfather's name and photos of him ...I was able to give her their Russian history back several generations and 1901census in uk and school records

That's quite a good idea. Do you have to be a subscriber to do this? I've noticed that you have to be a subscriber to get the full benefits of the DNA test. I was a long time subscriber but I reached a point in my tree I wasn't using ancestry that much so i cancelled. I may subscribe short term to see what my connections are to my matches

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 09:20 BST (UK) »
Family history research has come full circle.

Before records came online the only way to research was through record offices and making contact with people with shared interests via messaging boards and genealogical research directories.  Finding people who have been willing to share original documents and family photographs is amazing. Often only one member of the family inherited the family photos or the family bible. Tracking them down can be just luck but the more contacts you make the better chance you have of finding these gems.

In recent years research has become much more about what can be found online.

DNA matches opens up contact with relatives again.  They may add much to your research.

Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk