Author Topic: Mysterious marriage  (Read 1266 times)

Offline scatchardfamily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Mysterious marriage
« on: Sunday 05 June 16 11:50 BST (UK) »
I don't normally post in "Suffolk" because I have avoided this family as being too difficult!

This is the SIGGS family who were based in the Haverhill area and my ancestor Henrietta Siggs who was baptised in Stoke-by-Nayland 21 Sep 1828. I know her father was John Siggs who was born Queen’s Head PH, Haverhill 1 Jan 1798. The problem is I do not know who John Siggs was married to. His wife is listed as Sarah on the baptisms ranging from 1821 to 1832 but I cannot find her maiden name for the life of me.

I do not know whether I am looking in the wrong places or whether there some part of the jigsaw I'm missing. Any help appreciated!

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Mysterious marriage
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 June 16 22:09 BST (UK) »

I can't see a marriage either. If I have the correct family was their last child Daniel born Northamptonshire c1832 ?

If so I can see the burial of Sarah in Wakerley 3 May 1833 aged 35. When Daniel was baptized 25 January 1835 he was given the middle name 'Wallis'. Wonder if this could have been Sarah's maiden name.

In subsequent census records when John is with new wife Mary Ann, their children have the middle name 'Hayr' which from records seen was Mary Ann's maiden surname.

Maybe worth looking into

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kmsiggs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mysterious marriage
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 May 18 21:42 BST (UK) »
Nothing 'difficult' about the Siggs family ;-)
Siggs of Suffolk, Cambridge, Essex, Chelsea and Fulham. Whiffing/Whiffen of Suffolk. Wise of North East Hampshire (Fleet, Church Crookham area)