Author Topic: Did Martha BRACHER marry John EVERETT in 1805 or not?  (Read 1451 times)

Offline LindaBishop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Did Martha BRACHER marry John EVERETT in 1805 or not?
« on: Sunday 05 June 16 18:30 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone i am new to this, but have been forwarded a RootsChat conversation that took place a little while ago concerning the above marriage, which relates to members of my family too.  My 4G Grandmother was also Martha Bracher and I am descended through her daughter Narcissa, who married Thomas Bishop on 27 May 1828.  My descendants come down through this line and i was born Linda Bishop in Somerset, and would love to know a little more about the Bracher line, especially any misdemeanors which i am struggling to find.  I notice that several of the people commenting JaneyH104 and,Claireross177 seem to have some information and should be grateful if they would contact me please.  If not, can someone let me know how i can access the Chat to ask them direct?

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Did Martha BRACHER marry John EVERETT in 1805 or not?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 June 16 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

To contact people direct you will need need to make three postings on an open board before a personal message can be sent. Information on how to make a pm -

http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Here is the link to the original thread for you to be able to make contact -

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=731634.9

JJ

Offline JaneyH_104

• RootsChat Member
  • My great-grandmother, Alice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 08:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda,

I've only just seen this. The Brachers are one of the more colourful branches of my family tree. I've sent you a private message with contact details.

Janey
BOWDLER - Forest of Dean & Devon, DYSON, ENTWISTLE & TOWNEND - Huddersfield, CLARKE - Dorset, SCOBLE - Devon, HOUGH, COPE & WHITTAKER - Cheshire, BRACHER - Wiltshire, DENNISS - Herts/Hunts, SQUIRE - Hunts/Beds, BROWN - Herts/Beds

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 09:52 BST (UK) »
Where abouts are your Bracher family from, my husbands family seem to be Bracher prior to the 1881 census when they all switch to Breacher, this is when they move from Horsington in Somerset to South Wales

Wondering if they are the same family

Earliest I have is Thomas Bracher, born approx 1831, on his 1853 marriage license to Mary Ann Knight his father is Matthew

Offline LindaBishop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Iolaus,  thank you for your message. If you could give me a week or so to look at my research (we have recently moved House and I haven't unpacked it yet) I will get back to you with details of my Brachers.  Best wishes Linda x

Offline JaneyH_104

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 21:52 BST (UK) »
Hi iolaus,

I've done a quick trawl of my family tree and I don't have a Thomas Bracher that fits the dates you mention.  I should perhaps mention that I've found very recently that I think I'm a 4th cousin to Linda, who posted a reply here earlier today! 

I have two Thomas Brachers in my tree: the first 1746-1828, who was the brother of my 6x great-grandfather George Bracher (1734-1819), and then the illegitimate son Thomas (born 1821) of Fanetta Bracher, who was the sister of my 4x great-grandmother, Martha Bracher.  All these ancestors were born and baptised in the village of Stourton in Wiltshire.

In terms of researching Bracher ancestors more generally, you may find this website useful: http://tisburybrachers.weebly.com/bracher-genealogy.html (although it doesn't appear to mention your Thomas Bracher) and also this one if you can trace any of your ancestors back to the villages of Stourton or Kilmington: [urlhttp://wiltshire.anu.edu.au/][/url]

Good luck with your research, and if you find any common links, do keep in touch!

JaneyH
BOWDLER - Forest of Dean & Devon, DYSON, ENTWISTLE & TOWNEND - Huddersfield, CLARKE - Dorset, SCOBLE - Devon, HOUGH, COPE & WHITTAKER - Cheshire, BRACHER - Wiltshire, DENNISS - Herts/Hunts, SQUIRE - Hunts/Beds, BROWN - Herts/Beds

Offline claireross177

• RootsChat Extra
  • Claire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone - sorry for being a little late to the conversation.

There is supposedly a Thomas Bracher born to Matthew and Hannah Bracher in 1831 at Stowell Somerset (but I haven't seen the parish record or index myself).  This would presumably be the Matthew Bracher of Horsington who married Hannah Kimber at Henstridge Somerset on 29 Sept 1823.  The problem then becomes - where does Matthew Bracher come from?  There are Bracher's in the Horsington area but I can't find any reference to a Matthew being born.

regards
Claire
Bracher - any Bracher in UK up until c1840!  I am engaged in what has effectively become a one-name study.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 20:40 BST (UK) »
In answer to the title of your thread - no, the mother of Narcissa (bp.26/12/1806 Stourton, Wiltshire) was a Martha Bracher (illeg. birth) and looks like she had another daughter Mary baptised there 20/2/1811 - so Martha was still single.  Presumably it was her sister Mary Bracher who was a witness when Narcissa married Thomas Bishop in 1828.

I think that Martha Bracher was bp.9/2/1783 Stourton, dau. of George and Mary.  On 1861 census she is shown as unmarried, bc.1782 and died at Mere, Wiltshire in 1864.   

The Martha Bracher who married John Everett 1805 Tisbury was born in Tisbury, bp.5/8./1782, dau. of Edward and Margaret, so 2 different Martha's.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JaneyH_104

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 21:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette,

Thank-you for your post.  This refers back to a separate enquiry from 2016 and since then I've managed to fill in a wealth of information about my Bracher ancestors.  I now have Narcissa and Mary, and their mother Martha; I know they were illegitimate but the father was most probably James Francis, as implied by some Census records for 1821 (yes, you read that correctly) which are on the Wiltshire OPC website. 

I've also found that Claire Ross's website (Tisbury Brachers) has been extremely useful, as has Cathy Day's website for Stourton and Kilmington.  Stourton must be one of the best documented villages in the whole of England!

My Stourton Brachers may yet link back to Tisbury, but I'm still working on that line of enquiry.

JaneyH