Author Topic: Thomas Fowke/Foulke, (c1624-1714), of Holmgate  (Read 6659 times)

Offline Cham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Fowke/Foulke, (c1624-1714), of Holmgate
« on: Wednesday 25 May 16 10:02 BST (UK) »
Hello, I have just joined this site and noticed your offer of free lookups in Derbyshire. I am a male line descendant of Thomas Fowke/Foulke, (c1624-1714), of Holmgate, North Wingfield parish, Derbyshire.
He was a Quaker who married Mary Richardson (1629-1718) and came to Burlington County, New Jersey in 1677. I believe him to be the son of Thomas Fouke of Codnor, who married Dorothy Cham on Oct. 30, 1616 at Heanor. His presumed siblings are Ann who married Matthew Hopkinson (1616-1680) of Coldwell, a Quaker, and Dorothy who married Robert Wood. He may have had a Quaker brother or cousin Godfrey Fowkes.  Would very much appreciate anything that you may confirm or add to this outline.

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Fowke/Foulke, (c1624-1714), of Holmgate
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 August 16 01:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,  I am a descendent of Matthew Hopkinson married to  Ann Faulke/Fowke (various spellings).   I see from your posting that Thomas Fowke is your direct ancestor and that he sold land to 'my' Matthew Hopkinson prior to his emigration.  The records of these transactions are held in the Derbyshire Record Office and you can see abbreviations of their catalogue holdings on-line. 
However, I have been unable to find evidence that the Ann Fowke who married Matthew Hopkinson and Thomas were siblings and wondered where you had found your evidence.   My search did not lead me to finding out that Thomas had a sister called Ann.
Hoping you can enlighten me!

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 August 16 04:20 BST (UK) »
Another piece of information linking Matthew Hopkinson who married Ann Fowkes and Thomas Fowkes is contained in a document the suffering of the people called Quakers.   Embedded in this document is the fact that Matthew Hopkinson was fined for attending a Quaker meeting held at the house of Thomas Fowkes in Tupton.  I think you will find it here   http://www.crichparish.co.uk/webpages/quakersuffering.html

marp

Offline Cham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 May 18 02:34 BST (UK) »
Thomas Foulke (1624-1714)of Holmgate, North Wingfield parish, who came to Burlington County, New Jersey in 1677, is the son of Thomas Fouke of Codnor, who married Dorothy Cham at St. Lawrence Church in Heanor on Oct. 30, 1616. Last year I saw a copy of the marriage of Thomas Fauke to Mary Richardson at Chesterfield on Nov. 14, 1654, in which Thomas and Dorothy are named as his parents.
Ann Fauke was married at North Wingfield on June 29, 1641 to Matthew Hopkinson, according to Derbyshire marriage records, which strongly suggests to me that she was old enough to be the sister of Thomas, besides living where he did. Have also noticed the land transactions and Quaker documentation of Thomas and the Hopkinsons.
So sorry I took so long to reply, did not realize the postings were moved until today, and would certainly appreciate hearing from anyone with more information on these people.

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 May 18 03:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,   I have continued searching for Anne Fauke/Fowke (various spellings) and have never found a baptismal record. She and Matthew Hopkinson are my direct ancestors. Matthew was baptised 27 March 1616 at North Wingfield, Derbyshire. He died 20 August 1680 in Coldwell. Ashover, Derbyshire.
He married Ann Fowke 28 June 1641 at North Wingfield.

Matthew's will is not informative with regard to wife Ann.

HOPKINSON, Matthew - of Holmgate, North Wingfield, 22 Sep 1680. Executor: son Thomas. Mentions: wife Anne; daughters Mary MOORE, Ann RENSHAW; sons Matthew, Anthony, William, Thomas; brother Anthony HOPKINSON. Witnesses: John GLOW, John CURTIS.

If you have been around the district you will know that Ashover and North Wingfield are very close together and in those days would have been walking distance or riding distance.

I have the information regarding conveyance of property from Thomas Fowke to Matthew and also
 Matthew Hopkinson-fined for attending a Quaker meeting-July-Aug 1670 at the house of Thomas Fowkes.

However, I am absolutely without information regarding Ann Fowkes.  Like you I suspect that she was Thomas's sister or perhaps a cousin.  I think she was a relative as Thomas and Matthew seemed to do quite a bit together in attending Quaker meetings, sale of property etc. Given the fact that Quaker records might not be obtainable for the period around 1616-1620 which is a guess regarding her birth date.  I really do not know where to look.

marp

Offline Cham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 May 18 06:31 BST (UK) »
Hello marp,

Good to hear from you again. It is an auspicious day for me, my birthday and the "birthday" of Burlington County, New Jersey(in 1694), which my Foulks ancestors were English pioneers of, and so it is a doubly special day for me. Now that I have found this website again, I intend to post more often.
     I still live in Burlington County, and have never been to England. You sound as though you live around the area where our ancestors were, are you in Derbyshire, by any chance? I have never found a baptismal record for Thomas Fowke, either. I don't think we will find their births in Quaker records, as the Quakers were not in existence until about the middle of the 17th century. The best bet would be the Church of England parish registers from 1538 on, I would think.
     The website that I use, and that has a lot of information on my ancestor Thomas Foulke, is the "Janet and Robert Wolfe Genealogy" site. Robert is also a descendant of Thomas, and lives in Michigan with his wife Janet. One of the entries on the page for Thomas and his wife Mary, in 1682, states that Thomas conveyed land in England to Thomas Hopkinson of Holmgate. For me, this is another clue to his relationship to the Hopkinson family, for, as you know, Matthew, the father of Thomas, was dead by this time. Thomas Foulke was not returning to England, and so was disposing of his property to his nearest kin there, his nephew Thomas Hopkinson. It makes perfect sense to me, anyway.
     You provided me with another clue in your last post. You mentioned that John Curtis was a witness to the will of Matthew Hopkinson. If this is the Quaker John Curtis (1635-1696) living at the Ford estate in Derbyshire with wife Anne (Revell) Curtis and children, he will shortly also be coming to Burlington County, and become the father-in-law of Thomas Foulke Jr., who grows up to marry his daughter Elizabeth, and also become my ancestors. In Joseph Besse's, "A Collection of the Suffering of the People Called Quakers", Vol. 1, page 140, for the year 1668, in the same paragraph it is mentioned that Thomas Fowkes and his wife, John Curtis, and others, were all excommunicated for "absence from the public worship". This indicates to me that the Fouke, Hopkinson, and Curtis families were acquainted with each other in Derbyshire, on account of their faith at least. I really think that we are on to something here, and that we may be distant cousins of each other.

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 May 18 13:11 BST (UK) »
Happy birthday!
I was born and raised  in Derbyshire and left when I went to university.   I now live in Australia but I used to return when my parents were alive and know Ashover, North Wingfield quite well but not as well as the locals.  Actually I will be in Ashover this year largely to catch up with relatives but might do some family history as well.
We have our family tree on that popular site  A....... and we have Ann Fouke coming from Wirksworth, Derbyshire.  Wirksworth has a very good  web site www.wirksworth.org.uk/ with lots of genealogical information on it, including parish registers and Ince's pedigrees.We found Ann on that site.  However, no evidence to back it up and we did not find Thomas.
However,  I think we have established that Thomas Fowke, Matthew Hopkinson and John Curtis knew each other pretty well.   
We will have to keep making the connections.
marp

Offline Cham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 May 18 17:59 BST (UK) »
    Thank You for the Birthday Wishes, marp, never got any from Down Under before! If you want to give me a birthday present, since you have actually been there, can you tell me exactly what Holmgate is in North Wingfield parish, if that location still exists? Is it a section of North Wingfield as Brooklyn is to New York City? I am intensely interested to know exactly how my ancestor Thomas and his family lived at that time, if that is possible.
     Since we lack documentation, I have tried to build up a Quaker Chesterfield (since that is where their Meeting was established) family group network, and see how they connect. Besides the Fowke, Hopkinson, Curtis family groups, some children of Thomas and Mary Fowke married into the Quaker Bunting and Woodward area families, with children that also came to Burlington County. The things I notice that these families have in common is their nearby location to each other, and their record of persecutions as Quakers.
    Oh, by the way, the reason I know that Thomas Fowke was born around 1624 is through a transcript of his family Bible, which states that he died on June 10, 1714, aged 90. Perhaps there is a Hopkinson family Bible that you haven't located yet? Also, I appreciate and understand your need of documentation (birth record for Ann), sometimes it doesn't work out that way for me, and I have to make name, date, location and religious associations for clues to what I am looking for. Now, for you, I would think that if Ann Fauke is the sister of Thomas and the daughter of Thomas and Dorothy, in lieu of documentation I would next check to see if any of her children had the names Thomas and Dorothy. I didn't see Dorothy in the will listing of Matthew's children, but Thomas certainly plays a prominent part in the Hopkinson family naming, of course you would know much better than I whether his name would have come from Matthew's family instead. Hope this helps you a little, I realize by now that you may have already examined these options yourself, if you have please forgive my family rant (lol)!

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We are who we are because they were who they were
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hi
My grandmother was Alice Hopkinson and this is the info I have on her ancestor Matthew Hopkinson who married Anne Ffaulke.

D3955 Pre Registration Title Deeds of Coldwell Farm
Coldwell Farm at Clay Cross was created by the amalgamation of two smaller farmsteads belonging to the manor of Stretton.  By the 17th century the lordship of the manor had become split into 3 equal parts.  The Hopkinson family were already working a messuage at Holmgate when they gained ownership of a 1/3rd part of this property in 1659.  Over the next two centuries they acquired full ownership of this and a neighbouring property to form a freehold estate known as Coldwell Farm.  In 1866 they were obliged to mortgage the farm to William Burkitt, whose son sold the property to Robert Lloyd in 1895.

D3955/1/1
Conveyance by Thomas Gladwin of Boythorpe, Chesterfield, gent, and John Newton of Oakerthorpe, South Wingfield, gent, Matthew Hopkinson of Holmgate, North Wingfield, yeoman, of a 1/3 part of several parcels of land comprising "The Great Highfield, The Little Highfield, The Oxe Close, The Long Landes, The Thisley Dole, The Golding Flat, The Round Close, The Carr Cliffe", and four little closes called The Carrs 10 Oct 1659.

D3955/1/2
Conveyance by Thomas Gladwin and John Newton to Thomas Fowke the younger of Holmgate, North Wingfield, yeoman of 1/3 part of several parcels of land comprisng "Lane Crofte, The Highfield, The Water Meadowe, The Carr and Nether Close", and 1/3 part of that cottage and croft of Robert Wood at Woodhead 10 Oct 1659

D3955/1/3
Conveyance by Thomas Fowke of Holmgate, North Wingfield, yeoman to Matthew Hopkinson of Coldwell, North Wingfield, yeoman, of all of his 1/3 part of Nether Close 16 Mar 1676-77

For Meetings at the House of Thomas Fowkes, and for other Meetings at Tupton and Pilsley, in the months called July and August this year, Thomas Fowkes fined £8, Matthew Hopkinson fined £10 5s 0d

I have 9 children for Matthew and Anne
Matthew, Mary, Anthony, Emily, Anne, William, Ellen, Thomas and Dorothy bpt 2/8/1663 N Wingfield

Hope some of this is of interest,
Valerie
Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe
Staffs: Nutt, Bowring
Yorks: Holling, Fish, Kay, Hardy
Lincs: Plummer, Broughton, Wellbourne