Author Topic: Thomas Fowke/Foulke, (c1624-1714), of Holmgate  (Read 6695 times)

Offline Cham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Fowke/Foulke, (c1624-1714), of Holmgate
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 03 June 18 04:44 BST (UK) »
    Great job, Marp, I really do appreciate your thoroughness and perseverance! OK, I'm thinking aloud, please bear with me. This Thomas Cham of North Wingfield died two years before the marriage of Dorothy Cham and Thomas Fouke of Codnor in the Church of St. Lawrence at Heanor. Was Dorothy his daughter, and was THAT the reason that Thomas Fouke of Codnor moved to North Wingfield after his marriage to her, since they are listed as being of Holmgate, North Wingfield, just like their son Thomas, on his marriage record in 1654 (by the way, Matthew Hopkinson is listed as the first witness at that wedding). So Thomas (c1624-1714) could have been named after his father AND his mother's father, two for one! Is Hathersage too far away for the Thomas Cham living in 1661 to be her brother? I guess he would be pretty old by then, if she had one, maybe a nephew or younger cousin is possible.
    I should have printed this, but didn't, years ago I was reading an online history of the Church of St. Lawrence in Heanor, and they had a list of the churchwardens. For 1613 they had "Thomas Fowke" as a substitute churchwarden, representing Codnor and Loscoe. Hope this works for you, as a start, and Thank You so much!

Offline Cham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 04 June 18 01:44 BST (UK) »
On another site, Designer Jeans has found "burial Ana wife of Thomas Fouke 8/8/1616 St. Lawrence, Heanor". Thomas Fouke of Codnor (father of Thomas Fowke c1624-1714) married Dorothy Cham in this very same church less than three months later, on October 30, 1616. Could Dorothy Cham have been the second wife of this Thomas Fouke, OR could Thomas and Ana Fouke have been his parents?

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 04 June 18 02:10 BST (UK) »
I have been searching on another site and not found this burial.  Perhaps you could let me know Valerie by private email which site you are referring to?   In my search I have been astonished at how many people named Fowke (with multiple spellings) there are.   It was not such an uncommon name.   There were people named Fowke in Heanor (including Codnor & Loscoe) in the 1800s, there were people of the same name in Wirksworth, North Wingfield, Ockbrook, Denby, Horsley and so on.
I feel quite overwhelmed! 

Given the fact that there were people named Fowke in Heanor in the 1800s it seems likely to me that there were a number of families with that name.  So I guess I am saying that given that Thomas is a common name and names did run in families there may have been several Thomas Foukes around at roughly the same time. Among the possibilities is  Ana Fouke who was buried in 1616 was the mother of Thomas Fouke who married Dorothy Cham.   Or she could have been the wife of another Thomas Fouke in Heanor?

Or am I confusing the issue?

marp

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We are who we are because they were who they were
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 20:58 BST (UK) »
This must fit in somewhere!

St Laurence, Heanor
Margery Cham dau of Walter and Dorothy Cham bpt 27/9/1613
Margery Cham dau of Walter Cham bur 27/11/1613
Mary Cham dau of Walter and Dorothy Cham bpt 30/10/1614
Samuel Cham son of Walter Cham bpt 6/4/1617

Also (Scarcliffe is approx 6 miles from N Wingfield)
Will of William Cham weaver 1633 Scarcliffe
Will of Elizabeth Cham widow 1634 Scarcliffe
https://www.staffsnameindexes.org.uk/default.aspx?Index=C&LastName=cham&Part=0&YearFrom=1620&YearTo=1780&Place=&County=0&Gender=0&Occupation=
Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe
Staffs: Nutt, Bowring
Yorks: Holling, Fish, Kay, Hardy
Lincs: Plummer, Broughton, Wellbourne

Offline Cham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 21:11 BST (UK) »
Wow, way to go! Marp is busy right now, but I will certainly check this out! Many Thanks, Designer Jeans!

Offline Cham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 17 June 18 03:56 BST (UK) »
    According to the "Pennsylvania Magazine of History, Vol. II, p. 207", the family Bible of Thomas Fowke/Foulke  (c1624-1714) of Holmgate, was an old black-letter folio, brought by him to Burlington County, New Jersey, from Derbyshire, England, in 1677. It's a reprint of the 1541 Cranmer edition, imprinted at London on Dec. 29, 1549. This Bible is said to have been buried in the ground during the persecution of the adherents of the Reformed Church, during the reign of Philip and Mary (1554-1558), and has numerous marginal notes showing the peculiarities of the 16th century penmanship. Scattered throughout the Old Testament are the signature of Richard Smallwood and Francis Berdesly, which evidently belong to the same period as the notes, and they would be living at the same time as the great-grandfathers of Thomas Fowke/Foulke (c1624-1714) of Holmgate, if a connection could be made to them.

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 17 June 18 06:45 BST (UK) »
This is a really early version of the Bible translated into modern English.  If my history serves me correctly the first printing in English was around 1539. So a 1549 date is very early indeed and a copy of the Bible itself would be valuable as well as its value as a family bible.  Where is the bible now?  In a museum or still held by a family member?  It would be fascinating to see it.   

I do not know who Richard Smallwood and Francis Berdesley are and a quick internet search has left me none the wiser!

marp

Offline Cham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 17 June 18 12:09 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the year that this Pennsylvania Magazine of History article was published, because it says that it is "now" (whatever year this article was published, I am guessing that it was many years ago) in the possession of one his (Thomas Foulke of Holmgate's) descendants, Mrs. Mary C. Gaskill, of Philadelphia. The description of the Bible comes from the "Catalogue of Lea Wilson's Collection, pp. 31-33". I know, it would be great to find out who Richard Smallwood and Francis Berdesly (sic) were, and whether they were related to Thomas!

Offline Cham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 18 June 18 00:53 BST (UK) »
Found the article online, it was published in July 1887, when the widow Mary C. Gaskill of Philadelphia would have been 73 years old. She had two surviving children, Anna Virginia and Charles Merwin. The article does not elaborate on how Richard Smallwood and Francis Berdesly were connected to Thomas Foulke.