Author Topic: Townland map & missing records for parish of Lismore  (Read 2000 times)

Offline Kessa

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Townland map & missing records for parish of Lismore
« on: Tuesday 07 June 16 03:18 BST (UK) »
Hi
Would anyone know of an online townland map for the catholic/protestant parish of Lismore.  Having done almost exclusively protestant Irish research I am now trying to get my head around the way the catholic records are recorded.
Also the NLI are missing the microfilm of the baptisms in Lismore from Feb 1831 to Jul 1840.  Would anyone know where they would be accessible?  RootsIreland have them transcribed so they do exist but I need to check a couple of their transcriptions.
Many thanks
Kerrie
Alexander, Edwards, Rutledge, Parker, Wood, Orchard, Henwood, Craig of Australia

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Townland map & missing records for parish of Lismore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 09:59 BST (UK) »
http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0112

If you scroll down the bottom of the page -
You may be able to find more information on registers for this parish at:
Irish Ancestors
Roots Ireland
Irish Genealogy
(click on links)

Only Catholic Church & Church of Ireland have parishes- for other Protestant religions there are no official boundaries for membership.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 11:30 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hrh/

Link for map (from Griffiths Valuation) which shows townlands and Civil Parishes.
Civil Parishes are the same as Church of Ireland Parishes.
Zoom (+/-) on bottom right.  Lismore is in the circled area.

Offline Kessa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 00:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies.  I have clicked on the links at the bottom of the Lismore parishes page but they do not tell me why the missing register was not filmed only that Rootsireland have transcribed them which I already knew.  I will try contacting the Waterford Heritage Centre, they may know where they are.

I was really looking for a townland map that I could download as I find the Griffiths maps are hard to use.  I found the townland Ballyanchor but couldn't find Owbeg.  It appears on the Google maps but not on Griffiths (that I could find).  It's also not listed as a townland in the lists of Waterford townlands online.  Is it really not a townland and just an area?

Thanks
Kerrie
Alexander, Edwards, Rutledge, Parker, Wood, Orchard, Henwood, Craig of Australia

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 02:24 BST (UK) »
Owbeg is listed on OSI as a locality
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,604501,596335,10,8
This crossroad on Griffiths maps is the boundary point of Townparks East, Ballinaspick North and Ballysaggartbeghill
Owbeg is a river so it's difficult to judge where the locality begins or ends.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 02:53 BST (UK) »
It's doubtfull at this stage that anyone would know why the missing register was not filmed, the work was started in the 1950s and took about 20 years. There is a wide variety of coverage, some parishes have very little others are a gold mine.
RootsIreland have no connection to the NLI images, they only do transcripts and do not take images of the registers. I believe they do the transcribing locally so had/have access to the registers held in each church, which explains why they have records which are not on the NLI site.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 07:47 BST (UK) »

Owbeg is listed on OSI as a locality
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,604501,596335,10,8
This crossroad on Griffiths maps is the boundary point of Townparks East, Ballinaspick North and Ballysaggartbeghill
Owbeg is a river so it's difficult to judge where the locality begins or ends.

Yes... and specifically including the area running immediately north of the river Owbeg in the form of the long narrow townland of Ballysaggartbeg Glebe (slightly east of the crossroad), if the following reference from the Waterford Chronicle in 1865 is anything to go by: 'TO BE SOLD ... ... ...Lands called the CHANTER LAND, otherwise Owbeg, otherwise Mayfield, known on the Ordnance Map as "Ballysaggartbeg Glebe", situate in the Barony of Coshmore and Coshbride, and County of Waterford'.

I say 'including', because the Waterford Mail of 1861 carried the following reference to the auction of 'part of the lands of Owbeg ... ... ...situate about half-a-mile on the South side of the town of Lismore ... ... ... on the West side of the high road from Lismore to the stream of Owbeg'.

So I guess Owbeg must be an area south of Lismore and north of the Owbeg river / stream.

Offline Kessa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 08:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you to Sinann & Gaffy for your posts.  They are very informative and helpful and the OSI map was great.

I hadn't realised that the microfilming of the catholic registers had commenced so early and your explanation now makes sense of why they are not included in the NLI site.  Looks like I either take the transcription that Rootsireland have done as being correct or write to the parish priest.

Many thanks to everyone for your interest in my query.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 08:26 BST (UK) »
Looking at the map again the Owbeg River is very short, it just goes through a couple of townlands, so I guess it's full length could be consider as the locality of Owbeg.

Kessa perhaps if you explained to us the problem with the transcription someone here might be able to help.