Author Topic: Townland map & missing records for parish of Lismore  (Read 1999 times)

Offline Kessa

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Townland map & missing records for parish of Lismore - Ormonde
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 08:52 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the baptism of a James Ormond/Ormand c1837, son of Jeremiah Ormond in the parish of Lismore.  I couldn't find it at first then with more diligent searching of Rootsireland I found a baptism at Lismore of a James on 24 Jan 1835 son of Dermot Ormond & Ellen Costin.  I know now that Dermot is another name for Jeremiah so this is probably my man.  However there is a baptism for the same couple of a Patrick Ormond on 26 Oct 1834.  The dates are too close to be feasible so I need to check the register to ascertain the correct dates for the baptisms of James and Patrick to be sure I have the right person.

I know the father of James is Jeremiah Ormond as James was married 3 times and gave the name of his father as Jeremiah at each marriage.
Alexander, Edwards, Rutledge, Parker, Wood, Orchard, Henwood, Craig of Australia

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Townland map & missing records for parish of Lismore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 18:51 BST (UK) »
Oh that is messy

Just a few thoughts
First you should be aware that RootsIreland is known for transcription errors, the quote below will give you an idea of how some of the transcriptions were carried out. That may not be the case everywhere and to be fair the writing is very difficult at times but at least it's a warning to treat all transcriptions with caution.
Hi All
              Just in response to the Transcriptions on Rootsireland, over twenty years ago
              as a teenager i was pulled of the unemployment line and put on a six month
              course transcribing parish records for Dublin North. There was no training and
              the supervisor was only interested in finding out about her neighbours ancestors.
              Out of twelve staff i was the only one who wanted to do it right, as i had experience
              of trying to read the registers and with an interest in Genealogy. To finish always
              check and check again ,what somebody else has discovered.
Thread that was taken from http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=670189.0

Second the parent's surnames seem to be unusual enough for there not to be two couples with the same names, which can happen.

Three, while you would expect a transcriber even a bad one to know what year they are working on it is possible that 1835 should read 1838, 5s and 8s are often difficult to tell apart.

but, Four, if that is the case and the 1834 and 1838 are brothers you would expect more children in between. Of course there could have been a string of miscarriages so it's by no means unheard of to have a gap, just worth keeping in mind.

I would go ahead and contact Waterford Heritage and ask if they can check, an error could have crept in when the transcription was being entered on the computer.
If you are lucky they may still have someone working on the registers for that church and the originals could hopefully be checked.

One more thing have you a marriage for this couple, are these baptism dates feasible?

Offline Kessa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 June 16 06:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link to the discussion about Rootsireland which I found quite interesting.  Checking their indexes now should be easier with the release of the online digitised images.  I do sympathise with Rootsireland as the handwriting and fading is dreadful on the original registers and I think they have done quite a good job of it.  I prefer to use their indexes rather than Findmypast.

Getting back to the Ormonde's Jeremiah had a son John in 1828, Patrick in 1834, James in 1835, Honor in 1838 (that's another one that needs checking as her father is listed as Terence but the mother is the same) and Jeremiah in 1842.

No I haven't found the marriage of Jeremiah Ormond and Ellen Costin but I intend to check the original register online myself.
Alexander, Edwards, Rutledge, Parker, Wood, Orchard, Henwood, Craig of Australia

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 09 June 16 09:53 BST (UK) »
The images on NLI, the RC registers, are indexed on FindMyPast.
RootsIreland don't have an index to these images. They have transcripts of RC registers.
You might say but they are both the same thing and to a large extent that is true.
For some parishes they may even have used the images held by NLI but they also used the original registers in the church.

I'm labouring this point because looking at the NLI images it is clear some clergy did not allow their registers to go to Dublin to be imaged but sent a transcript they did themselves.
Two examples
Caragh in Kildare is very clearly a transcript as it tells you on the cover page
http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634419#page/1/mode/1up

Others aren't as clear
Collinstown Westmeath
http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000635118#page/6/mode/1up
One of my grandfather's brothers is missing from this register, he has a birth cert, he's on the Census, he has a grave, his Baptisim is on RootsIreland. Also there is far less information for each entry than on RootsIreland, such as townland.

So it's important when communicating with Waterford Heritage that you don't make a reference to the online images.

Offline Kessa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 11 June 16 01:05 BST (UK) »
Sinann, thanks for all your help and time in explaining how the indexes were made.  It's all been enlightening and interesting for me.