Author Topic: 1939 Register query  (Read 4109 times)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1939 Register query
« on: Tuesday 07 June 16 09:18 BST (UK) »
My aunt Phyllis nee Rink (born 1912) disappears from all records after her birth certificate, although I believe she was alive in the early 1980s, possibly in Sussex. I can find no record of marriage (she may have been in an unmarried relationship) and no death certificate. Family anecdote talked of children (possibly step children).
The 1939 Register has been my first breakthrough. I have found her in Hove Sussex, a boarder occupation Governess. No clues except the fact that her name etc has a line through it and in the margin it says 'see con sheet'.

Does anyone know what a Con Sheet is, and whether there is any way of finding it? My hope is perhaps even at that age she had changed her name and the con sheet might have recorded this fact.

A long shot, I know, but after 10 years searching it's worth a try, so any help would be gratefully received. Thank you

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Register query
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 09:52 BST (UK) »
Could con sheet be 'continuation sheet'   :-\

Not knowing whether it is 'your Phyllis Rink' but there is one on 1937 electoral register at Brook House, Oxted, Surrey. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 10:21 BST (UK) »
There  is also a passenger list for a Miss P Rink for 1958 from London to Mombasa. Occupation school teacher . D.O.B 19 04 1912. Address 3 Repton Avenue, Gidea Park, Essex. Country of future intended residence (for more than 12 months) Kenya.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 10:31 BST (UK) »
She is not the only one to have "See con sheet" recorded.  The NA guide to the register simply says "some entries continued on a separate page within the same register".  A website from someone who produced early guidance to the register says "unfortunately the continuation sheets don't seem to be available".  Browsing the 19 pages of the relevant enumeration district code does not produce a continuation sheet.

There is a NA blog http://blog.nationalarchives.gov.uk/blog/1939-register-census-census that says
Crossing through was also used as a form of highlighting a record, often (but not always) in cases where continuation entries have been added on subsequent pages. If the record is continued within the same registration booklet that image should be linked to the subsequent image on the online service..  You might like to put a query on the blog as I can find no way to "link" to a con sheet unless of course a real expert comes in to bat soon.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 16:35 BST (UK) »
Amazing results from Rootschat! Thank you all very much indeed. MaxD, thanks for the explanation - I'll follow up the link you give in case the con sheet does have a bit more info about Phyllis. I'm sure your reply will help others who are also scratching their heads about marginal scribbles on the register.

William and Rosie - I can't tell you how amazed I am at your replies. I thought I'd pursued every line of enquiry. Phyllis is the last sibling to trace, and I hope maybe it will lead to a living relative who could answer some of the questions I have about a family I never knew. And after one posting on this forum I have more information than I've gathered in the last ten years.

Rosie, how do I find the electoral register for 1937? I don't know whether it would contain any extra information (maybe a partner at the same address) so it could be vital.

William, that is indeed Phyllis's date of birth. Mombasa could well explain her absence from any records here. Again, could you tell me where you found this information? I subscribe to ancestry and findmypast and would be very interested to see if the records give any hint as to a partner who may have travelled with her. Also, as I know she was in the UK in the 1980s (not sure whether this was a short break or whether she had at some point returned permanently) maybe she will be shown in the return listings. As I didn't know the family, and they've all passed away now, I had no inkling that she had left the country.

I can't thank you all enough - I have a pile of death certificates and wills from 'wrong' Phyllises that I've bought over the years, and these are the first positive mentions I've had - very grateful I took out the sub for the 1939 register as it motivated me into making this posting.

Lesley

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 16:45 BST (UK) »
It may be interesting to look at the passenger list as she appears on a supplementary list which was done at the very last moment.  There were other Teachers also going to Mombassa on that list
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 16:48 BST (UK) »
Could con sheet be 'continuation sheet'   :-\

Not knowing whether it is 'your Phyllis Rink' but there is one on 1937 electoral register at Brook House, Oxted, Surrey.

Also at Brook House were Walter Joe Marchant and Matilda Marchant - maybe her employers if she was same Phyllis and still a governess.
Also in Oxted are a Walter Joseph Arthur Marchant and Ruth Marchant living in High Street, might be relatives of Brook House Marchants.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 16:48 BST (UK) »
I did a search for Phyllis Risk in  search all records on FindMyPast and all that came up was her birth reg and the 1939 register entry but the shipping record also came for P Risk b 1912. Interestingly I could not see the same record on Ancestry - perhaps there is a transcription issue.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 16:57 BST (UK) »
I note you have been searching for some time so you may have already contacted "Laurence Lock" on Genes Reunited who has Phyllis Rink b 1912 in his tree?

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia