Author Topic: Looking for marriage cert of great great grandparents.  (Read 2375 times)

Offline Cindy40

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for marriage cert of great great grandparents.
« on: Tuesday 07 June 16 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, first time on roots chat. I am looking for a birth cert or marriage cert for my grandfather
David Johnston 1809. David was married to Isabella Fraser according to son David's birth cert (born 1862 in the parish of ballachulish)  they were married in Sutherland in 1840. David was a Shepard on census 1851 he is reported to have been born in Peeblesshire? He died tragically 1865 in corran of argour. There is no parents on death certificate only procurator fiscal report of accident. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for marriage cert of great great grandparents.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Cindy40 , welcome to RC  :)

David was married to Isabella Fraser
Was David's wife not Eliza Fraser ?
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYY2-3VC

I wonder if this is the family in 1841 ?
Coinside , Tongue , Sutherland(all born Sutherland)
David Johnston 31 ag. lab.
Eliza Johnston 25
Jannet Johnson 2
Ann Johnson 7 months

Birth for Ann(e) ?
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X181-C4G

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Cindy40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 09:29 BST (UK) »
This is indeed the family, I have all this info but unfortunately cannot proceed any further than 1809 as I cannot find info on David's parents. I have Eliza 's parents. I have contacted the Mormons but I cannot find any other info to proceed? I also have a relative who has tried to go back further but has been stuck at 1809.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 09:57 BST (UK) »
Does the 1861 Census give any more information about David's birthplace ?

Even if you found a likely marriage in the Old Parish Registers it probably wouldn't name parents  :(

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Scottish Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 July 16 16:32 BST (UK) »
According to the 1861 census (ScotlandsPeople), David was born in Peebles, Peebles-shire. It would be best to confirm this with a cross-check of 1851 census on ScotlandsPeople. If there is no OPR baptism (as I think you are saying), you could check to see what other denominations existed in Peebles around the time of his birth. Scottish Borders archives may be able to help - http://www.heartofhawick.co.uk/g_heart/info/19/heritage_hub

Something else to consider, do the names of his sons and daughters give any clues about grandparents' names? The Scottish naming pattern was that first son was named after paternal grandfather, first daughter after maternal grandmother and vice versa for second son and daughter. Of course not all families follow this in whole or in part.

Offline Cindy40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 July 16 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hi unfortunately I cannot find david or family on 1851 census. He is on 1861 census which states he is from Perthshire. The first son is Duncan which I cannot find a link for and first daughter is Janet after David's wife's mother. I will continue to search. Many thanks for your help

Offline Scottish Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 July 16 17:05 BST (UK) »
1861 census - Perthshire is a mis-transcription by Ancestry. I checked the original document on ScotlandsPeople which clearly states Peebles-shire, Peebles as his birthplace. It is so important to check original sources and not rely on transcriptions like Ancestry, useful though they are in different ways.

If you send me a direct message I will send you the 1861 census record.

Offline Cindy40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 July 16 17:22 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your help, I have scotlands people 1841 & 1861 census 1841 is from coanside Sutherland where David was a Shepard and 1861 ballachulish & corran of argour where he was also Shepard until his tragic death in 1864. I have his death certificate which has details of death but no mention of mother or father. On kids birth cert it states David and Eliza ( Elizabeth) were married Sep 1840 in Sutherland again dead end. I have also contacted Scottish archives who also could not find marriage or birth cert for david. I have emailed Hawick as you suggested so hopefully I might get further! Again many thanks for your help.