Author Topic: Herringfleet, Suffolk, 1767 query - 5 Acres of land  (Read 665 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Herringfleet, Suffolk, 1767 query - 5 Acres of land
« on: Tuesday 07 June 16 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

In the 1767 of the will of my ancestor Thomas King, a baker of Yarmouth in Norfolk, he includes as a bequest to his wife Mary, five acres of land in Herringfleet, Suffolk.

I am trying to find out how he came to own this land. Did he buy it? Did he inherit it? Is anyone please able to offer any help at all on this?

Thank you,
Jon

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Herringfleet 1767 query - 5 Acres of land
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 06:42 BST (UK) »
Do you know his wife's name, and HER father? Have you checked if HE left a will - the land may be mentioned, and was passed on to his daughter. It may have been part of her marriage settlement.
What about any brothers and sister of his wife? Do you know where they came from? And if they left any wills?
What about Thomas' father? Did he leave a will with the land mentioned? Or his wife's side of the family?
Have you checked the Norfolk Record Office catalogue for any mention of Thomas King? Or his father?
Do the five acres have a name? In which case Surrey RO catalogue might be worth a search.

Good luck!
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Herringfleet 1767 query - 5 Acres of land
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 14:58 BST (UK) »
I had a similar mystery (for several years) with one of my ancestors, whose will included property in another county. Just by chance I discovered some time later that his mother had a sister who had 'married into property' and left some to him in her will.

So, just keep persevering with those side branches and who knows what might turn up  ;)

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Herringfleet, Suffolk, 1767 query - 5 Acres of land
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 18:43 BST (UK) »
Hi goldie61.

Thomas King's wife was Mary Warnes who he married Great Yarmouth in 10 February 1740/1.

Mary Warnes was baptised in Yarmouth in 23 October 1720 as the daughter of James Warnes and Elizabeth Panks (or Parks) who married in Yarmouth on 5 May 1718. Both were single and of the town.

James and Elizabeth had three other children: Say Warnes (1723-1724), James Warnes (1726-1730) and Elizabeth Warnes (1729-?).

Say Warnes was evidently named after a relative as the 1747 will of a John Say who died in 1749 left his estate to Thomas King and his wife Mary, who John Say referred to as his 'cousin'.

Thomas King's own will of 1767 states that John Say was his wife's great uncle. I am however not sure how this was but as John Say names Mary's widowed mother Elizabeth Warnes and names her as Mary's mother, not his own relative, I assume that John Say was a relative of Mary's father James Warnes.

James Warnes was dead by John Say's will of 1747 but I have not found a burial or will for him as yet to see what land might have been passed to his son-in-law Thomas King on his death.

It is all a family to be pieced to together at the moment.

Thanks for the replies.

Jonny