Author Topic: Beeswing  (Read 805 times)

Offline Hannahville

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Beeswing
« on: Wednesday 08 June 16 07:47 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out the date the public house " Beeswing" which gave the name to the village was opened. I know that it was before 1850 but cannot find any information regarding the exact date. Was it necessary to obtain a licence for selling alcohol at this time? I have checked but have not been able to find any records . any help appreciated.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Beeswing
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

According to this page it could have been before 1840,

http://www.kirkcudbright.co/historyarticle.asp?ID=354&p=15&g=4

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline imchad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 June 16 20:54 BST (UK) »
Beeswing was actually named after a racehorse which won large sums of money for his owner. The owner laid out the village and named it after the horse.

Offline Hannahville

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 July 16 15:27 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Imchad but have checked this out.The owner of Beeswing never purchased any property in the village as evidenced by the Register of Sassines. I had heard this before but unfortunately it is like a number of myths regarding the name of the village