Author Topic: Census help please.  (Read 2045 times)

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Census help please.
« on: Wednesday 08 June 16 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi all
I have been asked by a family member to help with their familytree as they have hit a brick wall, I have been helping but I have also hit the same brick wall and would like anther pair of eyes please.
I have a Henry Sidney Stanton born (c)1888 in Barnetby Le Wold in Lincolnshire, found him age 23 in 1911 as a boarder with his future wife Olive Louisa Palmer and her family in Gainsborough Lincolnshire. They were married in 1911 in Gainsborough. His father is given as Joseph Stanton, deceased railway inspector on the marriage certificate. I cannot find Henry Stanton in 1901 or earlier, or even a birth reg for him and its this I would like help on please. Thanks in advance.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Census help please.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 15:45 BST (UK) »
I wonder if Joseph was a step father and his mother remarried?  So his birth would be under a different surname.

I would look for a Joseph Stanton on census or a JS marriage after 1888. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 15:51 BST (UK) »
When in 1911 did Henry marry?

There are 2 Joseph Stanton deaths in 1911 - Mar - Dec - both age 50
Bourn registration area
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 17:08 BST (UK) »
Henry married in the June quarter 1911

I have had an extensive look and not found anything.

He was not baptised in Barnetby Le Wold as I looked at the actual registers to 1891 and he is not there. I also did a parish search on the surname Stanton 1888 +- 2 years and he was not one of the baptisms that came up (for all Lincs)

I tried searching the 1891 and 1901 censuses just using his forename and Barnetby Le Wold to no avail.

I did notice there was a birth registration of a

Births Jun 1890   
Carrott    Henry Sydney        Lincoln    7a   509

but as he is on later censuses he is not your man. Also his father John was a gardener.

There is this birth registration

Births Dec 1887   
Charles    Henry Sydney L        Boston    7a   430

and in 1891 he is with his widowed mother. She appears to have remarried and be in Lancashire in 1901 with young Henry. However no indication of where the name Stanton came from. If that is not him then there is a Henry Charles born 1886 suggested in Grimsby in the Union Workhouse in Grimsby. Unfortunately it seems the registers for this workhouse for this period (circa 1886) do not survive

I tried to find him on the 1939 Registration and although I found his wife he is not with her although she says married. I also did not find any WWI military records for him.

So now I guess its a case if you can find any extra information ie did he have any siblings, was he in the army etc
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 18:15 BST (UK) »
Millipede, they were married on 17 April 1911 so just after the census was taken. Thanks for looking everyone, not an easy family to find x

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 18:23 BST (UK) »
There is a bit of a story behind Henry Stanford so I was told. Henry Stanford walked away from his wife and family around 1924 and he was never seen or heard from again, which explains why his wife Olive was head of the family on the 1939 register. Nobody knows when he died or even if he had any siblings. So all a bit of a mystery I'm afraid. Sorry to make this even harder !!

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 18:41 BST (UK) »
So is his name Henry Stanford as you just said or Henry Stanton as you said originally?

Also him walking away does not account for the later children

Births Sep 1914   
Stanton    John E    Palmer    Gainsbro    7a   1357    
Births Sep 1917   
Stanton    Arthur S    Palmer    Gainsbro'    7a   1030    
Births Mar 1920   
Stanton    Harry    Palmer    Gainsbro'    7a   1619   
Births Dec 1932   
Stanton    Trevor    Palmer    Gainsbro'    7a   977   

or are you saying Trevor belongs to someone else ?
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 June 16 10:34 BST (UK) »
Davidft, its Stanton not Stanford sorry. Ive had a word with the family member and Trevor did belong to a different dad but was brought up as a Stanton.

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 June 16 11:29 BST (UK) »
Joseph Stanton, Henrys father, was a railway inspector, deceased by 1911, but maybe if I can find him on the census it will lead me somewhere.