Author Topic: Holmes CORNWELL Sr  (Read 1898 times)

Offline Peter Cornwell

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Holmes CORNWELL Sr
« on: Wednesday 08 June 16 14:35 BST (UK) »
My GGGGrandfather, Holmes CORNWELL Sr, died at Bottisham Lode on 29 June 1837 aged 73 years. His widow Elizabeth (DAY) died there on 16 April 1847 aged 84 years. However, I am unable to trace the burial of either of them. Most of their children were christened at Holy Trinity Church in Bottisham up until around 1801 when their allegiance shifted to St Mary’s Church at Swaffham Bulbeck. Most of the family were buried at Lode Baptist Chapel but none of these locations provides any clues as to their eventual burial. Can some kind body throw any light or offer any suggestions ?
CORNWELLs (and variants) with origins in the ancient county of Cambridgeshire & Isle of Ely - any date.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Holmes CORNWELL Sr
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 16:12 BST (UK) »
Long thread about the Cornwell family here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=276805.45

Haven't read through it all to see if there is an answer to your query!!  But you may find you have a link somewhere to the others.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 16:42 BST (UK) »
I have the CD for Swaffham Bulbeck, and although there are many Cornwell's, there is no burial for either of them. However in Swaffham Prior 31/5/1846 there was a Holmes Cornwell baptised to James and Elizabeth.
Regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 June 16 17:47 BST (UK) »
Have you tried St. Andrew the Less Cambridge; I have no information as to where Holmes is buried; but I have his death as 23rd September 1837 and not June.
As has been said there are a lot of Cornwells around.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Peter Cornwell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 June 16 07:20 BST (UK) »
Lizdb,

Many thanks for the link. I am familiar with all the CORNWELLs mentioned there but still no answers to my question unfortunately.

Paco

Thank you for your reply. As you say, plenty of CORNWELLs about but not the burials I’m seeking. I believe that the Holmes CORNWELL you mention died an infant aged four months at Reach (Swaffham Upfield).   

Redroger,

Yes, I have tried St Andrew the Less (Barnwell) but no trace of them there either unfortunately. Holmes’ date of death was certainly 29 June 1837 but his will proved on 23 September 1837. Thanks for your reply.
CORNWELLs (and variants) with origins in the ancient county of Cambridgeshire & Isle of Ely - any date.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 June 16 18:53 BST (UK) »
thanks Peter makes sense now.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Aoibhell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Symonds, Fordham, Glasscock, Langran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Just had a quick look on Camdex for this pairs death
Didn't find his but Elizabeth's came up:- Camdex 331/BOT/2/57s
Hope this is helpful

Cheers Alan
Looking into:-
Cambridgeshire:- Symonds (various spellings), Bendell, Dean, Phillips, Glasscock, Langran, Hawks

Offline Peter Cornwell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 February 17 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Alan,

Many thanks but it is not her death that has me flummoxed it is her burial I cannot trace. However, your post does open up a fresh line of enquiry for me for which I am most grateful.

Offline Aoibhell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Symonds, Fordham, Glasscock, Langran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 February 17 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Haven't found Holmes yet but there is an Elizabeth Day born to a John & Mary
The fact's are as follows Baptised 8 July 1764, St Mary, Swaffham Prior
If John & Mary are related then they married on 4 April 1762 (same church as above) & her surname is Lemon (both signed with an x). Witness:- Richard Cuff, Robert Shildrick

Also found there marriage
11 July 1786 at Holy Trinity, Bottisham. They both signed with an X. Witness:- Sarah Hovill, Stephen Osbourn

These where from the Swaffham Prior, Swaffham Bulbeck, Bottisham, Bottisham Lode, Reach & Stow-cum-Quy parish records

Cheers Alan
Looking into:-
Cambridgeshire:- Symonds (various spellings), Bendell, Dean, Phillips, Glasscock, Langran, Hawks