Author Topic: Stumped - Looking for Archibiald Campbell's parents from Perthshire  (Read 2231 times)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stumped - Looking for Archibiald Campbell's parents from Perthshire
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 June 16 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hi

Is this confirmation for him?

Campbell, Alexander cabinet maker Surrey St Glasgow since residing at Strathbungo and afterwards Millport died 23 March 1891 Millport confirmation Rothesay 11 April 1896 Executors John Muirhead, measurer, son in law Glasgow and Archibald Campbell, his son Millport.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline lockhaven

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 June 16 17:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Arthur, Thanks so much for all that information. I was really hoping that Archibald was the son of Dougal & Elizabeth, mostly because all of the research was done so beautifully already. :) But unfortunately, it sounds like you're right that Archibald wasn't from the Crieff area.

I'm visiting Scotland for the first time in a couple weeks, and had added Crieff and area to our agenda because I thought that's where the family was from. I was super excited to see the Fortingall Yew, and the parish where your x3 great grandparents Archibald & Barbara were married. Even though they aren't direct relatives, I'm sure it will still be a beautiful spot to visit.

Maybe we're still related, very distantly! :)

Offline lockhaven

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 June 16 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

Is this confirmation for him?

Campbell, Alexander cabinet maker Surrey St Glasgow since residing at Strathbungo and afterwards Millport died 23 March 1891 Millport confirmation Rothesay 11 April 1896 Executors John Muirhead, measurer, son in law Glasgow and Archibald Campbell, his son Millport.

William

William, that's definitely him! Thank-you thank-you thank-you! That's amazing, I don't know why I didn't even think of the fact that he could have passed away in Millport, it makes so much sense. Where ever did you find that? Now I have his date of death, now I'm on the hunt for his birth date.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 09 June 16 17:20 BST (UK) »
That is him, William. Well done!

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 09 June 16 17:31 BST (UK) »
The calendar of confirmations is, in my opinion, a more useful resource than the wills index on SP as the executors are named. I simply looked at the Archibald Campbells showing who died after 1881 in Glasgow (it  was lucky that it has been transcribed as Glasgow). The calendar although it only starts in 1875 goes up to 1936. You should be able to locate his will on SP. ( With a date of death now known you never know there might be something written about him in the newspaper archive).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 09 June 16 17:32 BST (UK) »
Family tree (there are lots really on a/try) but this includes parents Catherine Cree and Peter http://person.ancestry.co.uk/tree/22337264/person/1313416369/facts. They show this possible 1841 census entry for Peter and Archibald son:

Peter Campbell 58 Cotton H L W b. Scotland
Peter Campbell 20 Cotton H L W b. Scotland
Archibald Campbell 15 Wright Ap b. Scotland

Address: Strathbungo Village, Govan

Is this the entry you mentioned you had?

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 09 June 16 17:37 BST (UK) »
.... I simply looked at the Archibald Campbells showing who died after 1881 in Glasgow (it  was lucky that it has been transcribed as Glasgow)....

Can't see him on SP wills & testaments, William  :-\ So, lucky you found him in the calendar of confirmations. So many Archibald Campbells, would have been hard/expensive to find his death online via SP.

Monica

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 09 June 16 17:52 BST (UK) »
It's there, Monica, in 1896 - it was confirmed in Rothesay as he died in Millport. There are 11 pages and so might be 10 credits well used!

William