Author Topic: Angus Morrison Flora Patterson(Cholera in Port Glasgow/Greenock 1840's)  (Read 6266 times)

Offline harrisj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I've been reading a document which refers to some ancestors place of birth as;

the Parish of Iona, St Peters, Invernesshire.

Is St Peters a church or place? The person referred to was catholic in case that matters. Grateful for help. Thanks

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Iona - St Peters
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 June 16 17:48 BST (UK) »
The island of Iona is not in Inverness-shire; it is in Argyll.

When was this person born? Did (s)he have a name? What was your source and what was the document you found this reference in?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline harrisj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 June 16 19:48 BST (UK) »
hi

It is a Catholic marriage 1837 on Scotlandspeople. Angus Morrison and Flora Patterson, Glasgow St Andrews.

Catholic archives suggest grooms place of birth is StPeters Iona. I think it reads  Parish of Small Isles, Invernessshire. Can you see this?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 June 16 20:35 BST (UK) »
its a cATHOLIC MARRIAGE IN 1837 on Scotlandspeople. Angus Morrison and Flora Patterson.
Catholic archives suggest grooms place of birth is StPeters Iona. I think it reads  Parish of Small Isles, Invernessshie. Can you see this?

No, I can't see it.

But Iona isn't in the parish of the Small Isles, which includes Eigg, Rum, Canna and Muck. The Statistical Account says that Eigg is in Inverness-shire and the other three islands in Argyll, but I am fairly sure that all four were in Inverness-shire later on, after some boundary revisions. Iona is in the parish of Kilfinichen in Argyll. So there's a contradiction there.

I looked at the New Statistical Account (1830s) of Kilfinichen, and the author states that all the parishioners are of the established church (i.e. Church of Scotland) except 40 Baptists and Independents and just two Roman Catholics on Iona. The Statistical Account (1790s) says that all the parishioners belong to the established church. No mention of Roman Catholics.

The Statistical Account of the Small Isles (1790s) says that 'a great number of the inhabitants are Roman Catholics' and laments that no proper parish register is kept. The New Statistical Account (1830s) is silent on the subject.

Besides the Abbey, which is dedicated to St Mary, the only other church on Iona is St Ronan's. And there is the chapel of St Oran. So I am rather at a loss to know what and where St Peter's might be.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline harrisj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 June 16 20:45 BST (UK) »
thank you. I think I will contact SP and ask them to check what I think it is.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 June 16 21:02 BST (UK) »
thank you. I think I will contact SP and ask them to check what I think it is.

You could also try posting it here and see what RootsChatters make of it.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 June 16 21:17 BST (UK) »
Have you located them on census records?

Offline harrisj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 June 16 21:31 BST (UK) »
yes only in 1841 in Greenock. And they say not born in county

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile