Author Topic: Which test please help  (Read 519 times)

Offline juiceanca

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Which test please help
« on: Thursday 09 June 16 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hi all
I would like to do a test for DNA but im not sure if or which test would give me any results.
I wanted to see if i could use my fathers DNA to trace his Mothers Father line ??
Is that possible ??

many thanks for your time julian
Campbell - Lanarkshire,Scotland
Mcdonald - Lanarkshire,Scotland
Porter      - Staffordshire,England
Sargeant - Staffordshire,England

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Which test please help
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 June 16 20:49 BST (UK) »
If you wanted to trace your father's mother's paternal line what you are talking about is a yDNA test which only males can take. So in this case you would need a full brother of father's mother to take the test.

Instead what you could do is take an autosomal test that looks right across your genes ie looks at genes from both the direct male and direct female and all lines in between. You could take this test yourself but as its your father's family you are interested it would be better to test him as he is one step nearer the people you are trying to find and also it is not "contaminated" by results from your mothers side. Even if you do do an autosomal test the chance of finding anyone will depend on if people from your broader extended family have tested and if you or they have the paper work to make the connection
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline juiceanca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Which test please help
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 June 16 21:49 BST (UK) »
Davidft
many thanks for your swift response that gives me an idea of what to do next.

much appreciated julian
Campbell - Lanarkshire,Scotland
Mcdonald - Lanarkshire,Scotland
Porter      - Staffordshire,England
Sargeant - Staffordshire,England