Author Topic: birth  (Read 1072 times)

Offline broadstairs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
birth
« on: Thursday 09 June 16 21:12 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the family of John Henry (born 1816) my wife's Great Grandfather. I have him as a 60 year old Master Mainer. on the ship Ariel. Born in Dungarvan Waterford. As he was all ways at sea he is not on any census.

Offline healyjfch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: birth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 June 16 10:50 BST (UK) »
Have you tried to find his Will. He may have mentioned family names in will.
Have you any info for a spouse.
The birth is too early for civil registration.
Church records may reveal what you need, but you would have to know which Church/Parish.
Do you know which denomination he was.
Roman Catholic Church records are available on line NLI

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 June 16 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,
The only things I found were 2 Certs. for Masters Service.
Have you got these?
Maggsie

Offline broadstairs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 June 16 16:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you for you help. I have master mariners cert No 41.005 and ships agreement No5335 the ship was called Ariel sailing out of Liverpool on Dec 1876. and John Henry was is listed as Master. Our John Henry lived at Windsor St Toxteth at that time. and advertised in Kellys Directory as a master mariner in 1881.I do not think that there could be 2 John Henrys at that time in Liverpool. In http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/-hibernia/baptism under the henrys, there are 4 children. The father is John Henry to all, and they are Presbyterian. Interestingly the mothers name changes for each child. Her birth name is Defiantly Elizabeth Murdock. In the 1901 Irish census she is Eliza Henry. her child Rebecca was born in South America, so is Lizzie Henry another child. In the 1911 Irish census there is a Limenia Henry also born in South America ,a sister to Rebecca and Rebecca Murdock is an Aunt making Eliza's name Murdock. As He was  sea captain he could have taken Eliza to South America and stayed there for a while. As he was a Ships Master She would not be an immigrant. The family is a puzzle. I have been looking for John Henry for 3 years.