Author Topic: The Search for Charles M. Franklin  (Read 653 times)

Offline floppyslater

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Search for Charles M. Franklin
« on: Friday 10 June 16 01:25 BST (UK) »
I have hit a wall and could use some help or suggestions.

I am searching for Charles M. Franklin.  His history is a little complicated so let me explain . . .

Charles was 8 November 1907 to Charles B. Franklin and Mary Emma Miller of Philadelphia.

Charles's father was a boiler maker in Port Richmond (Philadelphia) and was killed two weeks after his son's birth in an industrial accident.  He was buried in North Cedar Hill Cemetery in Philadelphia.

In the 1910 US Census - Emma and her son are found living with her parents (John and Mary Miller) on 2950 Kingston Street in Philadelphia.  Emma age 23, Charles age 2.

Mary Emma Franklin never remarried and died in 1919 at the age of 31.  She too was buried in North Cedar Hill Cemetery.

Young Charles moved in with his father's sister and her husband - Charles F. Weldon and Catherine (Kate) Franklin.  In the 1920 US Census the family is listed on Clearfield Street, Philadelphia.  Charles is listed at 12.

This is were I am not sure if my research is spot on or not . . .

That appears to be the end of the Philadelphia records. 

The next time a Charles M. Franklin appears in the 1930 US Census as a U.S. Army soldier in New York stationed at Fort Jay - age 22.

In the 1940 US Census Charles M. Franklin appears again in New York.  He has a wife named Irma also born in 1907.  The couple lives Bethune Street without any children present. Both appear to be college educated and work for the government.

According to WWII Enlistment Records for Charles M. Franklin, he lived in Baltimore, Maryland but enlisted back in New York on 8 July 1943 and served till 1945.  His enlistment records indicate that he now had 4 years of college and served as a clerk.  Maryland is a key clue since the 1940 US Census lists his wife Irma was from Maryland.  This circumstantial evidence is strong.

According to the U.S. Social Security Death Index Charles died in Cold Spring, Putnam, New York in August of 1981. This is a small town north of West Point, New York.   His wife, Irma W. Franklin, also died in Cold Spring in April of 1997.

I have not had any luck confirming if this is the same Charles that began his life in Philadelphia. 

Any suggestions, insights, or supporting evidence would be very welcomed.

Thank you.

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Search for Charles M. Franklin
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 June 16 02:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,

His marriage record to Irma in 1934 gives his POB and his parents names. This matches the known information.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:24DP-JHK

Offline floppyslater

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 June 16 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hi RJ,

Thank you for the help in confirming my research.  It is very much appreciated.

floppyslater

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 June 16 14:59 BST (UK) »
Mrs. Charles M. Franklin was the historian for the Putnam County Historical Society:  http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn84031640/1980-11-06/ed-1/seq-5.pdf

This says Irma "lived with her husband at the Foundry School Museum building for about 20 years. She was a historian and worked to publish the book about Thomas Davenport, who in 1730 was first settler of Cold Spring."  http://www.pcnr.com/news/2010-11-17/Front_Page/Rust_Honored_for_Volunteer_Service.html?print=1

She spoke at a genealogical society meeting - https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=MURHAAAAIBAJ&sjid=mjMNAAAAIBAJ&pg=6499%2C2003243

There was a tribute to Irma in 2000 - https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/114169687/

I bet she would have approved of you finding her.   :)

Offline floppyslater

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 June 16 15:08 BST (UK) »
I love playing detective!  So many interesting stories that are lost to time until someone stumbles across them.

The rootschat community is the best.

Offline floppyslater

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 July 16 15:19 BST (UK) »
The Putnam History Museum was kind enough to provide Irma Franklin's obituary.  Not only was she a remarkable woman for her time period but she also was at a pivotal event in world history. 

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 July 16 18:00 BST (UK) »
Great obituary.  I'm wondering if she prepared it herself before the time came, since she was an avid genealogist.   :)

Offline floppyslater

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 July 16 18:47 BST (UK) »
That would make total sense - a written monument to a life well lived.

They both seem like remarkable individuals. It would have been wonderful to know them.