Author Topic: Which Churchyard?  (Read 3293 times)

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Which Churchyard?
« on: Friday 10 June 16 16:03 BST (UK) »
Death of Margaret GALT / GUTT / GULT in Govan 9 December 1858. She died at Bryces Land, Govan  at the age of 88 years and was buried in the Govan Churchyard. How do I determine which Churchyard?

Thanks. As  always, any leads, hints or assistance is greatly appreciated.   

yn9man
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Which Churchyard?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 June 16 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hi yn9man

Likely the Govan Old Parish Churchyard from what you say.

A lot of interest of late in the Church due to the discovery of the 'Govan Stones'. See:

www.thegovanstones.org.uk/
https://the-hazel-tree.com/2015/04/29/the-govan-stones/

Not seeing much on burial records for the Churchyard. As always, what there is, is likely to be maintained by the Mitchell Library in Glasgow.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 June 16 18:41 BST (UK) »
Monica is exactly right (not for the first time, eh Monica?) There would only have been one churchyard in Govan as far back as 1858 and especially if it is worded "Govan Churchyard".
Much interest in the ancient stones, as you say Monica and, when all else fails, try the Mitchell!
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 June 16 18:46 BST (UK) »
Lodger, I was looking for a link specific to the Old Church itself but all links seemed expired (apart from those now connected to the 'Govan Stones'. Pretty much nothing on the old churchyard either.

Monica

Offline graceb063

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 03:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have just come across this site while doing a search for Govan churchyard. 

Also interested in Bryce's Land in Govan.  My ancestors are listed as living there in 1853. Does anyone have any information where Bryce's land is exactly. 

Thank you
Black/Northern Ireland,Crofhead,Govan
Kelly/Lanarkshire Glasgow
Irwin, Northern Ireland
Donaldson, Dawson/Monaghan
Aird/Ayrshire, Lochwinnoch, Stoneykirk
Chiplin/Somerset England/New Zealand
Martin/Rutherglen
Fanning/Cavan
Coutts/Aberdeen

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 08:28 BST (UK) »
Lodger, I was looking for a link specific to the Old Church itself but all links seemed expired (apart from those now connected to the 'Govan Stones'. Pretty much nothing on the old churchyard either.

https://canmore.org.uk/site/44077/glasgow-866-868-govan-road-govan-old-parish-church

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 14:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Forfarian. Photos are great for the church.

Welcome to RootsChat, Grace  :)

Just a little explanation on the term 'Land' if you didn't know:

"Land" is an old Scots word for a house of more than one storey.
www.theglasgowstory.com/image/?inum=TGSE00718

I can only see so far a reference to Bryce Lane. By co-incidence, Bryce Lane changed to Three Ell Lane and refered to in the Glasgow Story link above.

www.acumfaegovan.com/streets/streetsearch_lk.php?ID=59

Monica

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 15:34 BST (UK) »
A "land" was short for a "Land of Houses". There was no rule on what defined a Land, large or small, if you built it you could call it anything you liked.
This is "Bryson's Land" in Cambusnethan village, now part of the town of Wishaw.

My grandmother was raised in a small Land here in Motherwell. Her grandfather and his 2 sons built it, it had 2 houses (apartments as they are called everywhere but here!) on the ground floor and 3 on the floor above, the father and both (married) sons occupied 3 houses, leaving the other 2 to be rented. Their surname was Paterson and the building was always known as Paterson's Land or Paterson's Building. It lasted until about 1968.

My gt-gt-gt-grandparents lived at Scott's Land, Shaw Street in Govan, in his 1879 poor relief claim his house is described as "thatched", hard to believe when you look at Govan now but, this tends to make me think that it would have been single-story and Lord knows how old!
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline graceb063

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Thank you for replying.  I am yet to find my way around the site and to find where to post for information on my ancestors.  Will have a good look around some time today. 

My ancestor Thomas Black is listed as a provision merchant on the 1861 census, address Renfrew Road Bryees Land and as an egg and butter merchant on his daughter Eliza Jane's death cert in 1860, address is hard to make out but it is either Bryees land or Bryces land.   Going on him being a merchant I was thinking possibly farm land.   I did come across a reference late yesterday for Bryce farm but in that information it also states many of the locals grew their own produce and sold in markets. 

Could I assume that the Bryce lane you mention could have been part of an estate owned by the Bryce family?  Would there be any record of tenants during that time?

I am travelling to Scotland and Ireland in October so was hoping to find as many places as possible to visit while I am there. 

Grace
Black/Northern Ireland,Crofhead,Govan
Kelly/Lanarkshire Glasgow
Irwin, Northern Ireland
Donaldson, Dawson/Monaghan
Aird/Ayrshire, Lochwinnoch, Stoneykirk
Chiplin/Somerset England/New Zealand
Martin/Rutherglen
Fanning/Cavan
Coutts/Aberdeen