Author Topic: Young Genealogists?  (Read 4004 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Young Genealogists?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 11 June 16 09:28 BST (UK) »
Aside from future careers, accept any photos family members offer you, even if you don't know who they are. I was offered boxes of old photos when I was much younger, but only took the ones I could identify, much to my regret today.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline 11easkry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 11 June 16 09:42 BST (UK) »
My advice to you ( sorry, ex teacher so can't help it! ) would be to get a degree in Computing as that will leave your options open. Once you have that, you could then explore taking your genealogy interest further. Why not contact one of the heir hunting firms such as Fraser and Fraser, Neil is a member of RootsChat, and ask what qualifications they ask for? My worry is that at the moment there are a lot of people starting family finding businesses, so competition may be steep if you just concentrate on that.

Yes, competition is always stiff when you're just in the family finding business. Thanks for the advice! :)

Offline 11easkry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 11 June 16 09:42 BST (UK) »
Or maybe check out this mob - The NextGen Genealogy Network:

https://www.facebook.com/NextGenNetwrk/timeline

http://www.tnggn.org

Just looked at their page, it's great to see many more people who share the same passion as me, thankyou! :)

Offline 11easkry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 11 June 16 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi.

I wish I had taken it up around your age. I'd have been able to ask more people about their lives. However I only started when I had my own children. My eldest is now 16 (exam madness in our house too) he has been interested for about 5 years and has been working on the local War memorials around the local villages to document the lives of those mentioned. One of these resulted in representing his school on a visit to the battle fields in Flanders.
 My youngest came to a family history fair three years ago when he was 9 as I was looking at the books for sale I could hear him chatting to the stall holder. I made my purchase and turned to see him holding a carrier bag. He said look what I've got! I opened the bag and inside were family history book's. The stall holder had been so impressed with him talking about what he knew of his family and how he knew of their lives he had given Adam around £30 of books to help him go further. I offered to pay but the man insisted. I was a very proud mum.
 Keep at it the answers are out there..... ask lots.....take photos.
 Good luck with the exams.

Tazzie

I will keep that in mind! I bet it really pleases you when you can see that your children share some of the same interests as you, it must give you a bit to bond over.

Offline 11easkry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 11 June 16 09:46 BST (UK) »
Lovely to hear that you have such a great interest.

Don't forget to take plenty of photos while you can for future generations.

Enjoy

I will, I don't want to get older, then regret what I didn't do now. Thankyou :)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 13 June 16 00:47 BST (UK) »
I sketched out a rough tree based on family stories when I was at school but was about 22/23 before I started doing it properly and wished I had asked even more questions before it was too late.  write down every story even if it sounds wrong or irrelevant just now.  It may well be but you never know.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 13 June 16 00:58 BST (UK) »
I sketched out a rough tree based on family stories when I was at school but was about 22/23 before I started doing it properly and wished I had asked even more questions before it was too late.  write down every story even if it sounds wrong or irrelevant just now.  It may well be but you never know.
I totally agree, Pharma T. Not everyone was an officer in the army or navy, but if there's a story, then an ancestor probably was in the military. A lot of stories I was told starting out have proven wrong, but there is enough of the story in the truth.
I was told an ancestor helped invent a common pharmaceutical that we use today. The truth? An ancestor was a chemist, working for the Burroughs Wellcome Company. One of their claims to fame was developing Sudafed. How much he had to do with it, I don't know.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.