Author Topic: William Dalton and Elizabeth Doyle of Ballinagee, where next?  (Read 3008 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline cad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: William Dalton and Elizabeth Doyle of Ballinagee, where next?
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 00:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks dathai
That throws a bit of spanner in the works don't it? The Edward you found certainly looks like the son of the van driver Edward Dalton I mention in the first message of this post but if he is my William's brother he probably should be living in Dublin, although I suppose it's not impossible that he moved there later in the year- logic tells me this means I can discount both of them.
It's looking more and more like I need to get some solid evidence in the form of a death certificate for William in the hope of getting his birth cert, all else is speculation.
Wiltshire,Somerset : Cainey, Summers, Payne, Wallis,
Wales: Pugh, Watkins, Williams, Edwards,
London: Binden, Sullivan, Tickner, Tilt
Ireland: Tracey, Sullivan, Dalton

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 01:09 BST (UK) »
There are two more Dalton Kearns births Fed 1912 and Jan 1914 in Rathdown so it looks like they didn't leave Bray.

Offline cad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 01:55 BST (UK) »
Chatting with the descendants, there are memories of Elizabeth claiming the only member of her husband William's family she met was a brother in Dublin, my father in law also recalls visiting him.

Is there no way of finding a death cert after 1958 ( ie for 1966) without visiting or contacting the GRO?

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 07:18 BST (UK) »
The only other way i know of other than G R O is a death notice in papers which dont always give age though some do, but ages at death are only as reliable as the informants knowledge of the deceased.
If he had a State pension he would have at that time 1966 to the best of my knowledge have had to be aged over 70.
See page 13
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.495.1532&rep=rep1&type=pdf
Then there is a British Army pension when did that cease if he had one maybe you could get some info on that from Kew.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 08:19 BST (UK) »
The couple in the 1901 census living in Bray were Edward Dalton and Mary Kenny who got married in 1873, RootsIreland has the baptisms for the children shown in the census return (no sign of a William), the link below identifies the marriage, several births and the death of son Edward #1 - there are a couple of references in the late 1880s to corroborate Edward senior being a van driver:

http://www.daltondatabank.org/wicklow.htm

Offline cad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 June 16 00:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks for mentioning pensions, it reminded me that my better half's uncle once gave him a pension card of William's. I mooched about in my little bureau and dug it out only to find it was a contributory pension taken out in 1940 not the state old age one. Rats!

I tried to attach a picture of the card here but my iPad won't let me crop the size ( everytime I succeed in shrinking the image I save it and the darn device blows it back up again like some helpfully misguided puppy ).

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 11 September 16 18:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have you considered the Birth Registration on 8 March 1893 in Donnybrook, Dublin, of a William Dalton, son of Edward Dalton (a GARDENER) and Eliza (nee Dardin) of 5 Martins Cottages, Ballsbridge, Dublin.

Link
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1893/02316/1867923

Cheers

Offline cad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 12 September 16 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi LH,
Thank you, I was so distracted by my son's first day at nursery that I completely forgot the registers were coming online. You must have done a lot of searching to dig that out- I'm very grateful to you.
I have been buried on the website all afternoon now and have found...
Three more siblings,
Edward Joseph born 1884
James born 1889 and
John born 1891
The oldest is born at Ashford Terrace whilst the others are Martin's Cottages
I have also found The marriage of Edward Dalton, bachelor of Ball's Bridge and Elizabeth Whelan, Widow of Dundrum, the fathers were Edward Dalton and John Dargon.
Edward died in 1911 in the workhouse and Elizabeth in 1900 in the Royal Dublin Hospital of Pleurisy

This all ties in quite neatly and I'm optomistic that this is the right family. The early death of the mother would explain why William was placed with a family in the country and I assume similar fates of the others though I haven't tracked them down conclusively in the census documents.

I would be interested to find out if Elizabeth had any children with her first husband as I wonder if any of them may have taken in their half siblings.