Author Topic: Ship "Minerva" with 300 passengers wrecked c1852-1853  (Read 10646 times)

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Ship "Minerva" with 300 passengers wrecked c1852-1853
« on: Saturday 11 June 16 05:06 BST (UK) »
I am not sure if this is the correct board for this enquiry but hopefully someone will tell me.....

I have a newspaper report "Morning Post" 13 October 1853 (London I guess from content on the page).

It is to do with a chap who states
"he had been for the last 3 weeks on board a clipper, having come from Scotland.
Previously to that he been a great deal knocked about, and lately he was shipwrecked, with 300 others, on board the “Minerva”.

I seem to be finding a number of "Minerva" ships that were wrecked, and am hoping someone might be able to help me locate the ship this chap was on.

His occupation was SUPERCARGO -  (An officer on a merchant ship who has charge of the cargo and its sale and purchase.)

His name was William Henry ANDERSON, he was English, aged 42.  He was also known to be in the service of the East India Shipping Company.

Looking forward to helpful input.  :)
Barb in Australia
Researching:
BEST, BRAME, KNIGHT, LEWIS, McSHEEHY, O'NEIL, SCHUETZE & WILKE

http://www.kirchneryoungtreeoflife.bndon.com
Researching:
BAGGALEY, BARTHOLOMEW, BOYD, CLIFTON, GALLAGHER, GEERTZ, HARBER, HARBOUR, KIRCHNER, McDONALD, MEAD, PETER, TAYLOR, YOUNG

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
Re: Ship "Minerva" with 300 passengers wrecked c1852-1853
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 June 16 07:23 BST (UK) »
Sorry - The details I posted was the wrong Minerva, so I have deleted.
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 June 16 07:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that suggestion Steve...
I had located that one, but if the report was in the "Morning Post" 13 October 1853 (London I guess from content on the page) and the chap stated it was before that, then I think I need to find another ship being wrecked a bit earlier.

Ever hopeful  ???

Thanks again.
Barb
Researching:

Researching:
BAGGALEY, BARTHOLOMEW, BOYD, CLIFTON, GALLAGHER, GEERTZ, HARBER, HARBOUR, KIRCHNER, McDONALD, MEAD, PETER, TAYLOR, YOUNG

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 June 16 07:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Barb

Just done a bit more digging - Yes wrong one, so have deleted details above.

Will keep looking.

Steve
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 June 16 07:42 BST (UK) »

Not sure which "Minerva" Steve posted as I've only just seen this thread, but I found this one with a connection to the East India Co.  Apologies if it's the same one.....This one seems to have been wrecked along the Natal coast off Durban...

http://www.natalia.org.za/Files/20/Natalia%20v20%20article%20p24-29%20C.pdf
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 June 16 08:05 BST (UK) »

Just had a look at the passenger list for that Minerva and a John Anderson was listed as a passenger so looks like wrong one :-\
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 June 16 08:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks 3 silly dogs (???)
William Henry Anderson wasn't a passenger - he was the Supercargo - in charge of sourcing, buying, loading and selling cargo.
I'm busy reading the pdf file on the wreck - think as it's 1850 it just could be too early, but we don't know what WH Anderson meant in October 1853, by "lately having been in a wreck of the Minerva", so who knows..?
Barb
Researching:

Researching:

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 June 16 08:23 BST (UK) »

Wonder where one would find a crew list.  Archives of the East India Co perhaps??

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 June 16 09:05 BST (UK) »
http://showme.co.za/durban/a-history-of-durban

Interestingly, it mentions  "... carrying nearly 300 passengers"