Author Topic: Ship "Minerva" with 300 passengers wrecked c1852-1853  (Read 10647 times)

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Ship "Minerva" with 300 passengers wrecked c1852-1853
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 12 June 16 17:24 BST (UK) »
I think the vessel you are looking for is the MINERVA Wrecked off Durban in 1850.
Too many clues are in evidence.
This vessel was built in Bombay in 1812. She was 987 tons, a large vessel for the time and she would perfectly fit the description "East Indiaman"  She would be more than capable of carry 300 immigrants.
She was registered in London UK. Captains name J MUIR. She appears in Lloyd's Register at least  from June 1840 -July 1850 but not in subsequent issues.
 Her last Crew agreement should be in the British National Archive. For the process of elimination, if for nothing else, I will take a look next time I am at Kew. You could of course obtain a copy yourself.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4066609

From the size of her crew (5) the vessel wrecked in Scalers Cove? (Think that should read Sealers Cove) would be too small to  handle a vessel capable of carrying 300 immigrants but it cannot be discounted at this stage.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 12 June 16 18:00 BST (UK) »

According the the wreck report that I have, that Minerva wrecked off Durban was formerly an East India Merchant ship but when she was wrecked was bringing settlers to Natal: Portion of that wreck report. 

Minerva Aground –
Wrecked
Britain 4 July
Reef running out from the Bluff, the point of the Bluff.
This ex- English East Indiaman was 987 tons and was built in 1812
in Bombay. She had 287 English immigrants on her, as well as a
general cargo. This was the largest vessel chartered by J.C. Byrne
in his immigration scheme by which he despatched thousands of
settlers from Britain to Natal between 1849 and 1851. She was
anchored at the outer roads of Durban on the morning of 3 July
1850. Towards dusk, the wind freshened. It was thought that a
shackle bolt fell out and caused a cable to part. At 23:00, the tide
and current swept the ship onto a reef running out from the Bluff.
She broke apart the following night. No lives were lost but the 276
passengers lost most of their possessions.
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 13 June 16 01:32 BST (UK) »
Hi seaweed and 3sillyogs – once again, many thanks for taking the time to look into this mystery for me.

seaweed – it would be wonderful if you did happen to find yourself in London with a moment to spare to have a look at the file you mentioned re the crew of “Minerva” when she left on that fateful voyage in 1850.

Reading this report it seems there was a large crew.....?

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/91919487
Geelong Advertiser (Vic. : 1847 - 1851)  Mon 11 Nov 1850  Page 2  WRECK OF THE "MINERVA," EMIGRANT SHIP.
(Capt. Moir)

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/173062592
Hobarton Guardian, or, True Friend of Tasmania (Hobart, Tas. : 1847 - 1854)  Sat 11 Sep 1852  Page 2  SHIPPING INTELLIGENCE
8.—"Cosmopolite," brig, Capt. Marr, from Port Albert, 4th inst, with cattle and sheep. Passengers—Mr. and Mrs. Scott, Mr. Thomas and five men, (the master and crew of the "Minerva," schooner, wrecked lately at Sealer's Cove.)

I have just edited the OCR of the above ARRIVALS & DEPARTURES column in Australia's Newspaper site TROVE and it definitely says Sealers Cove in the article.

My understanding of the report re the “Cosmopolite” re - Mr. and Mrs. Scott,
Mr. Thomas and five men, the master and crew of the “Minerva”
etc etc - could possibly mean that the remainder of crew from the “Minerva” were on this voyage others having possibly obtained other, earlier commissions/ships.

With a huge amount of luck, maybe the (Master and crew of the “Minerva”) could include the supercargo – William Henry Anderson.... 

Fingers crossed  :)

Barb

Researching:
BEST, BRAME, KNIGHT, LEWIS, McSHEEHY, O'NEIL, SCHUETZE & WILKE

http://www.kirchneryoungtreeoflife.bndon.com
Researching:
BAGGALEY, BARTHOLOMEW, BOYD, CLIFTON, GALLAGHER, GEERTZ, HARBER, HARBOUR, KIRCHNER, McDONALD, MEAD, PETER, TAYLOR, YOUNG

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 26 June 16 08:42 BST (UK) »
I think the vessel you are looking for is the MINERVA Wrecked off Durban in 1850.
Too many clues are in evidence.
This vessel was built in Bombay in 1812. She was 987 tons, a large vessel for the time and she would perfectly fit the description "East Indiaman"  She would be more than capable of carry 300 immigrants.
She was registered in London UK. Captains name J MUIR. She appears in Lloyd's Register at least  from June 1840 -July 1850 but not in subsequent issues.
 Her last Crew agreement should be in the British National Archive. For the process of elimination, if for nothing else, I will take a look next time I am at Kew. You could of course obtain a copy yourself.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4066609

Hi again seaweed
I have just received another suggestion for a "Minerva" wreck in 1853 - a mention of a collision involving a steamer named Minerva in the Bombay Times and Journal of Commerce dated 14th May 1853.

The report doesn't actually say that the "Minerva" was wrecked, but that it caused another ship to go to the bottom.  It mentions that some of the crew were drowned during the rescue of those on the ship that sank but it doesn't mention how many were on board the Minerva......

More questions - no answers  :(

Barb in Australia
Researching:

Researching:
BAGGALEY, BARTHOLOMEW, BOYD, CLIFTON, GALLAGHER, GEERTZ, HARBER, HARBOUR, KIRCHNER, McDONALD, MEAD, PETER, TAYLOR, YOUNG

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 26 June 16 14:38 BST (UK) »
In late March 1853 the paddle steamer Minerva sailed from Liverpool for Belfast. Approaching the Irish coast it struck a schooner which sank immediately with the loss of all hands. Three men were seen in the water but disappeared before they could be saved. A search was initiated but all searchers returned to the Minerva safely. No one was injured/lost on the Minerva.The sinking was widely reported in the papers at the time plus the inquest.

The incident occurred 29/30th March 1853.

http://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?67184

Possibly the Minerva involved in the '53 incident?

(Would the news of this incident have reached India by the 14 May - publication date of Bombay Times?)

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 26 June 16 15:23 BST (UK) »
Yes hanes teulu this collision is well documented,
I would just refer Barb back to her first post on this subject. She wrote/ quoted "Previously to that he been a great deal knocked about, and lately he was shipwrecked, with 300 others, on board the “Minerva”.
The only possible contender which would fit the bill, is the MINERVA lost off Durban.
Will be at the National Archives this coming Tuesday and hopefully will find the elusive  William Henry ANDERSON. Whether or not he turns out to be Barbs ancestor is another story.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 26 June 16 15:29 BST (UK) »
Agreed re. the only possible contender.

Best of luck with the Archives. 

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 26 June 16 17:18 BST (UK) »
In the book "Dear Louisa" - Ellen McLeod states, in a letter written on 17 May 1850 "At 8 o'clock we breakfast, and at ten all the children go to school where they learn reading, writing, arithmetic; and Mr Anderson, one of the owners of the ship who is going out with us, has given a quantity of pieces of coloured cottons to make patchwork counterpanes ......"  The only Anderson I can see on the passenger list is John Anderson, millwright and Mary Anderson.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 27 June 16 00:48 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for all the latest input - fingers crossed seaweed that you have time to spare on your visit to the archives and that you find my William Henry Anderson amongst Captain, crew etc.
Thanks to the others who replied also - hope to hear one way or the other re our chap.
Barb in Australia
Researching:

Researching: