Author Topic: Mam's Welsh back into the 1600s. Ancestry says I'm 55% Irish?  (Read 7150 times)

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
Re: Mam's Welsh back into the 1600s. Ancestry says I'm 55% Irish?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 June 16 19:24 BST (UK) »
Click on "continue this thread" and send [me] an email.
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 June 16 19:52 BST (UK) »
I see no problem with this racial mix. The roots of your family are originally Irish Celts who migrated to Wales by 1700. The Iberian 6% is also Celtic. 'Scandinavian' is just not good enough. Your 'Scandinavians' were probably Vikings who penetrated Ireland deeply for quite a long period but were mostly ousted. They founded Dublin and some now form the population of Cumbria. Melvyn Bragg asserted his pride in being of Viking descent. What is surprising is there is next to no Saxon content.   
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 June 16 14:55 BST (UK) »
If you click on the specific regions mentioned on Ancestry DNA results, it shows that the region it covers is larger than just the name.  For example, under Ireland, it says "Primarily located in: Ireland, Wales, Scotland   Also found in: France, England".

Offline Essexgirl66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 August 16 16:43 BST (UK) »
I have a similar quandry - I am aware of German/Scottish/Irish Ancestry on Maternal and Paternal lines but i came out as 33% West European, 30% Irish, 8% British, 10% Scandinavian, 14% Iberian and trace West Asia? I am assuming the Scottish part comes under British? Also assuming the German is West Europe? Does DNA go missing and does that explain why i have fair freckly skin/blue eyes and my brother is dark skin/hair/eyes? And no, I am def not the Milkman's! ;)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 August 16 17:08 BST (UK) »
As I mentioned above, Ancestry's category of Ireland covers Scotland as well. 
For example, under Ireland, it says "Primarily located in: Ireland, Wales, Scotland   Also found in: France, England".

This article addresses how Native American DNA goes "missing", but the issue would be the same for other ethnicities - http://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2014/11/24/ask-ancestry-anne-where-is-my-native-american-dna/

Offline Spike H

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 August 16 23:23 BST (UK) »
Ancestry test says:

Irish. 55%
Scandinavian. 30%
Great Britain. 5%
Iberian. 6%
European Jewish 3%

My Mam's family is well documented back to the early 1700s so why no mention of "Wales"?

My father's paternal line is Suffolk back to the early 1600s but his ancestors had a habit of marrying Colleens☘

Wales, Scotland and Cornwall are included with Ireland as they all have Celtic heritage. They are identified as separate and different to Great Britain heritage. Click a few links on the Ancestry page and there are maps available. Iberian often pops up at about 5% associated with this group particularly for people with a Cornish background.

Oops, the original question has been answered. Didn't see page2. Well it is early here and I've only had one cup of coffee. As you were ;)
UK: Lee, Swift
CON: Davey, Harding, Hocking, Rule, Whinnen
AUST: McIntosh

Offline Essexgirl66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 14:31 BST (UK) »
Very interesting about the Iberian DNA being connected to Cornwall - i live in Cornwall and it is really obvious with dark colouring being very common, my future Son-in-Law a classic example (very handsome!). Also some names survive today like Jose. I however am Essex born and bred so it's would be really interesting to find out the Iberian connection. A friend thought it may be mixed in with the Irish because of the Spanish Civil War?
Thank you Spike H for explaining about the Celtic DNA.

Offline Hinso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 23 August 16 19:18 BST (UK) »
The Iberian link dates back to the end of the last Ice Age c. 10,000 years ago (bit more distant in time than the Spanish Civil War) when the western parts of the British Isles (Cornwall, Wales, Ireland, etc.)  were repopulated by people travelling along the Atlantic coast. I don't know if any were callled Jose, but you never know.
Horne - Oxfordshire, Lincolnshire
James - Grosmont (Monmouthshire)
Jones, Thomas, Davies - Carmarthenshire, Glamorgan
Price - Monmouthshire, Glamorgan
Prosser - Breconshire
Prossl - Bohemia, London
Rees - Carmarthenshire, Monmouthshire, Illinois
Walter - Somerset, Kansas, Queensland, Western Australia

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 09 September 16 02:49 BST (UK) »
Very interesting about iberian connection. My documented ancestry is in Scotland and Northern England. My ancestry results show 61% Great Britain, 18% Ireland making 79% covered by what I knew. The 5 % Scandinavia I put down to my.Northumberland ancestors at best bet. But wasn't sure about the western European, iberian and Eastern European.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others