Author Topic: Catherine McPherson  (Read 1647 times)

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catherine McPherson
« on: Sunday 12 June 16 00:25 BST (UK) »
Catherine McPherson was born in Greenock around 1841.  It is believed her mother was Violet McLachlan and her father Archibald McPherson.  They were probably never married but were found in the same household in the 1841 census (baby not yet listed), with Violet being the housekeeper.  Catherine (or Kitty) McPhee (McPherson) is named as the head of the household and the younger Catherine is at her home in the 1861 census so she is recognised as being Catherine's grandmother (Archibald's mother).  I haven't found Catherine in the 1851 census.

I have her marriage and death certificates but not the birth record.  Can anyone help with this one.
McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine McPherson
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 June 16 00:31 BST (UK) »
You will need to check the OPR's (Old Parish Records) on Scotlands People which is a pay per view site

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Have you checked family Search?  https://familysearch.org/search
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 June 16 04:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  I'm familiar with the site; I've looked but can't find her.
McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 June 16 04:04 BST (UK) »
I've tried every resource I could think of, I thought perhaps someone on Rootschat could come up a suggestion of where to go next.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 12:25 BST (UK) »
If she was illegtimate, it is possible that there might be something in the Kirk Session records, if the relevant ones have survived.

The KS records are held in the National Records of Scotland - go to http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/search.aspx and put Greenock in the box labelled 'Search for' and 'CH2' in the box labelled 'Reference', and make sure that the marker is set to 'Starts'.

The KS records have mostly been digitised, but they are not available online. If you want to look for your Archibald McPherson and Violet McLachlan, you either have to go in person to Register House in Edinburgh or to one of the small number of local archives that have a link to the NRS (Aberdeen, Glasgow, Hawick, Inverness and possibly one or two others), or you have to hire a searcher to do so on your behalf.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 12:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian.    This is useful information.  Alas, it's a long way from Australia to do a search so I'll have to think about what to do next.  Regards,  Sheena

Offline amycargill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 October 17 21:42 BST (UK) »
Sheena, this seems to be my McPherson line as well! I am descended from the son Archibald who married Christina McPherson in 1843.
Cargill, Boath, Menmuir, Hogg, Balfour, Monro, Shepherd, Bannerman, Hutcheson, Rhind, Stewart, Anderson, Duncan, Low, White, McNab, Stirling, Fyfe, Smith, Cramond, Willsone, Brown, Joyce, McPherson/MacPherson,McPhee, MacDougal, Clifford, McCulloch

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 October 17 21:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Amy.  It would be great if we were related but I need some clarification about Archibald.  My gg grandmother was Catherine McPherson, her father was Archibald who didn't marry her mother Violet McLachlan.  Archibald's mother was also Catherine.  I have no record of Archibald also marrying a Catherine.

Sheena

Offline amycargill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 October 17 01:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheena,

This is the second time I am posting this because my file size was rejected and all of my message erased!  Please private message me so I can get you the files that will show our relationships.

Thanks,
Amy
Cargill, Boath, Menmuir, Hogg, Balfour, Monro, Shepherd, Bannerman, Hutcheson, Rhind, Stewart, Anderson, Duncan, Low, White, McNab, Stirling, Fyfe, Smith, Cramond, Willsone, Brown, Joyce, McPherson/MacPherson,McPhee, MacDougal, Clifford, McCulloch