Author Topic: Trying to find Margaret Kelly who emigrated to Rhode Island  (Read 3035 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find Margaret Kelly who emigrated to Rhode Island
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 08:09 BST (UK) »

Have you found the marriage of John and Margaret? about 1878 according to the 1900 census, married 22 years. Margaret also stated 4 children born 4 still living yet in 1880 you know she had a fifth child Ellen.

I wonder if Ellen is Elizabeth E - there is a birth 1879 and a death 1885 for this child.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F8FC-D9B
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 10:16 BST (UK) »

Among. The US censuses show Margaret's mother born in England. Margaret (junior) was born in England and John was born in Ireland so I think it's John's mother-in-law.

I can't find a marriage for Margaret and John. I've spent hours searching for it but the records don't seem to be online. I have to be honest and say I've never searched for a US family before so I'm not au fait with finding their records.

Last night I searched for 4 hours trying to find both Margaret's on a very open search on the 1861 census and they aren't on it together anywhere in the country.  I did find a Kelly family with two daughters called Margaret, one was 22 and the other 10. How odd!

Heywood I spotted that about the number of children I think it was a misunderstanding probably by John because I believe a mother wouldn't forget their first child. I think you're right about Elizabeth E. being Ellen.It's such a shame that local records aren't online because I found the birth and death records in Wareham, Massachusetts for their son Joseph Peter's children and they are very informative.

If I could find the John and Margaret on the 1910 census it could give me a few more clues but I can only find their daughter Margaret and son John Anthony who are living in Central Falls.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hi again my eyes are sore searching for this family  ??? not having much luck locating them did find an Alice Agnes McCaffrey birth year 1881 Rhode Island with her husband Andrew Joseph McCaffney in the census forms from 1910--1940 in Central Falls .....In further checking for a marriage that I did find the other day 1909 but can't seem to find it today, I came across a death for a Anthony McCaffrey 1910 Central falls father Andrew Joseph McCaffrey mother Alice A Kelley

Death for Alice A McCaffrey 1881 died 1972 Rhode Island www.findagrave.com
WW11 Draft Registration for John Anthony Kelly gives his contact details as Alice A McCaffrey 681 Pine Street Central Falls ...
Rosie

Found the marriage on www.familysearch.org 6/10/1909 father John Kelly mother Margaret

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 13:43 BST (UK) »

I'm glad it's not just me that can't find them I thought I was missing something.

I think you could be right about Alice, everything fits. Joseph Peter (her brother) called his 2 daughters, who both died, Margaret Agnes.

I  keep looking for records on Familysearch and can find them one day and when I look to do a double check it's not there so you're not on your own. Bring back the old IGI I say it was so easy to find what you were looking for without having to scroll through hundreds of records.

Looking on the bright side we now know where Alice, Margaret and John Anthony live in 1910. I wonder if John, Margaret and Joseph Peter had moved to Massacusetts where Joseph married?

I'll have a look.  :)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 13:52 BST (UK) »
The problem is there are so many Kelly/Kelley  families... Margaret Roach remained in Pawtucket Providence Rhode Island you will find them on the census forms also www.findagrave.org
Rosie

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 14:39 BST (UK) »

This is the problem I've had there are Kelly/Kelley's everywhere you look. I think there has to be a page missing on the 1910 census the family can't have disappeared

Looking for both Margaret's on the 1861 census is difficult as well and as I don't know Margaret's (senior) maiden name I can't search for a marriage for her. All the Margaret's born circa 1808 with 10 years+/- are either born in Ireland or too many years younger than the one I'm looking for. I've even looked on the 1851 census to see if she's around Manchester but I've not found her so far.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 14:43 BST (UK) »
I know the birth year is out by a couple of years but is this the death for Joseph Kelly b 7/7/1885 died March 1967 Pawtucket Providence Rhode Island been in Massachusetts before 1951
Rosie

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 15:10 BST (UK) »

I think it is because his grandaughter said she found a piece of paper with Pawtucket and his name but no date.

Thanks for looking I really appreciate it.

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 29 October 16 16:20 BST (UK) »
Latest update on Margaret Kelly and John Kelly. I've got their marriage certificate and it doesn't give much information it just says the marriage was in Pawtucket (no Church name given) John lived in Lincoln and Margaret in Central Falls and it states that John's parents are John and Ellen Kelly and Margaret Kelly's parents are Peter and Margaret Kelly.

I've searched the 1851/61 and 71 censuses  and cannot find Peter and Margaret Kelly with a daughter Margaret anywhere in the country.

To add another twist to this family search Margaret gives her age as 20 when she married so when the heck was she born? On the 1875 Pawtucket record she's 22, three years later when she marries she's 20 and two years later on the 1880 census she's 25. It does lead me back to them on the 1871 census in Manchester, Margaret a widow age 63 and Margaret age 19 but I can't find them on earlier censuses and certainly not linked to a Peter Kelly.

Margaret   ::)