Author Topic: A Shropshire Stray (Oswestry baptism sought)  (Read 999 times)

Offline plimmerian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
A Shropshire Stray (Oswestry baptism sought)
« on: Sunday 12 June 16 17:34 BST (UK) »
Looking for baptism details of Elizabeth MORRISON (nee SMITH) who died ? March 1856 age 70 at Duke Street, Everton, Lancashire

In 1841 and 1851 she is living in Kitchen Street, Liverpool and her birth place in the later is listed as Oswestry, Shropshire, England

I am guessing at the moment that she married William MORRISON on 10 Nov 1804 at St Anne Liverpool, Lancashire, England

It appears there are children born 1809 - 1829 in Kent, as William was a shipwright and may have worked for the Navy.

I know it is a shot in the dark but hoping someone might have an Elizabeth Smith in their tree that requires more detail and she might be one and the same!

Many thanks! :-\

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A Shropshire Stray (Oswestry baptism sought)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 June 16 10:42 BST (UK) »
The Oswestry parish registers are available on archive.org. I have looked through from 1780 to 1790 and there are lots of Elizabeths being baptised but no Elizabeth Smith. Was she a spinster when she married William Morrison?

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A Shropshire Stray (Oswestry baptism sought)
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 June 16 10:52 BST (UK) »
is this a child born 5 months after the marriage ?

Baptism: 14 Apr 1805 St Thomas, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Eliza Morrison - Daughter of William Morrison & Elizabeth (formerly Smith), his Wife
    Born: 2 Feb

Baptism: 4 Jan 1807 St Thomas, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
John Morrison - Son of William Morrison & Elizabeth (formerly Smith), his Wife
    Born: 2 Oct 1806

can't definitely say this is your Elizabeth - but Kinnerley is about 5 miles from Oswestry in 1785/6 time frame which is when Elizabeth would have been born .
Kinnereley and Knockin Playgroup is in Oswestry in modern day times

http://www.netmums.com/shropshire/local/view/education/playgroups-pre-schools-and-nursery-schools/kinnerley-with-knockin-playgroup

you may want to make a note of this baptism for future reference as it looks the most likely to me

Elizabeth Smith
England Births and Christenings
Name   Elizabeth Smith
Gender   Female
Christening Date   15 May 1785
Christening Place   KINNERLEY,SHROPSHIRE,ENGLAND
Birth Date   08 May 1785
Father's Name   Thomas Smith
Mother's Name   Ann Plant
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford