Author Topic: Greenwich Union Workhouse  (Read 3548 times)

Offline Dee3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Greenwich Union Workhouse
« on: Monday 13 June 16 05:25 BST (UK) »
Hi can anyone help with information as to the transfer of children from the work house to other institutions please.
I have a family of children that entered the work house with their mother but they were sent to Norwood (girls) and Orpington (the boys) I have done some research and believe that these places are R.C. orphanages, as their parents are still alive at this time would that be correct?
Are there any records for admission to these places, and does anyone know where they actually are?
This happened in 1917 as I have found the information on Ancestry for the admission and discharge of the children.   On one of the records it states that the mother Elizabeth Brown the mother is leaving 5 children and chargeable, does this imply she has to pay for their keep? 
Any information would be appreciated ,
Dee
King, Gentry, Pleasants, Turkentine - Essex, Hertfordshire & Suffolk
Brown, Aitken, Kirby, French - London & Kent

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Greenwich Union Workhouse
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 June 16 07:54 BST (UK) »
This is a good website about London's children's homes

http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/list/London.shtml

some have links to more info.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dee3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 04:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks, yes I have come across it but really wanted to know if any one does have any knowledge about the actual homes of Orpington & Norwood and if there are any records on line. As previously mentioned I really don't know where they were located although from the site you mentioned it does give a St Josephs but is this the only one?  The work house records only state that they are discharged to Orpington and Norwood,
perhaps I'm asking too much,
Dee

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 09:00 BST (UK) »
The local archives may know more about these institutions and what reocods, if any, are available.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline onlooker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 10:00 BST (UK) »
I wonder if Norwood could refer to the Hanwell Schools, which were located at Norwood at one time.

There are some records for the Hanwell Schools on ancestry, in the collection "London, England, Poor Law and Board of Guardian Records, 1430-1930". Unfortunately, most of the records are not indexed, so you have to look through the images.

Where on ancestry did you find the 1917 information?

I think "chargeable" means that the particular parish or poor law union was responsible for costs of maintaining the paupers. Whenever possible the poor law authorities would try to send the paupers to another union, or reclaim costs from another union.
McDonagh, Warr, Nuckley

Offline Dee3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 June 16 02:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks onlooker,
as I am in Australia a little difficult trying to figure out where a local archive might be.
I found the information on Ancestry in regards to my Brown family under the London workhouse admissions & discharge records 1659-1930. Family all admitted on the 20/2/1917 mother Elizabeth and the 7 children. It then appears that Dorothy & Elizabeth are sent to Norwood on the 28th Feb, George to Orpington on the 1st Mar, after first going to the Infirmary on the 21 Feb.  Bertie, James & Florence were discharged on the 21st to Orpington & Norwood as well. Elizabeth the mother leaves on the 11th April with youngest child Kathleen. 
Many thanks Dee

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 June 16 02:34 BST (UK) »
Think Hanwell is a red herring as it's the wrong side of London

Can't post links at the moment but if you google Orpington Orphanage records you'll get a link to a Rootschat thread where someone got help from the Catholic Children's Society.

Googling Norwood Orphanage Records gives a possibility of Virgo Fidelis, Central Hill, Upper Norwood. Again, it's Catholic so may get similar help as above.

Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 June 16 07:59 BST (UK) »
Links

Orpington Rootschat thread

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=41969.0

Virgo Fidelis School, Norwood

http://www.virgofidelis.org.uk/
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline Meelystar

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 June 16 08:08 BST (UK) »
I can't find the link to a post where I was helped and I'm not sure where your family originated from so I may be totally barking up the wrong tree. But one of my ancestors was at Marylebone workhouse school which was located at Hayes Norwood. Think this was a big institution where a lot of children were sent. Perhaps the girls were sent here? Think it would have just been referred to as Norwood. The admissions records are on ancestry but I'm not sure that they are transcribed, as I said I had some help!