Author Topic: Cadwallader/Wallander TN  (Read 2264 times)

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cadwallader/Wallander TN
« on: Monday 13 June 16 09:38 BST (UK) »
I understand that John Wallander (born abt 1819 in NC) who lived in Robertson County,  15th District, Tennessee in the 1850 census should really have been listed as John Cadwallader. I gather that the transcriber may have mis-recorded him as his brothers are supposedly listed as Cadwallader.
I'd like to know if John Wallader DID actually have brothers with the Cadwallader surname.
Can anyone confirm  this, please?
Cheers,
Bob
Armstrongs of   Bedfordshire, England & Canonbie ,Scotland

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Cadwallader/Wallander TN
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 June 16 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob:

I've not yet found anything.
Could John have been in District 7, Tennessee in 1850, not District 15?

To help with having a look around, would you know any of the following, please?
Did John remain in America (as Wallander/Wallader)?
What occupation did he have, please?
Have you found him on any 1860/1861 census returns?
Did he have children and if so, did any of them have unique first and/or middle names?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 June 16 20:56 BST (UK) »
I see a tree on one of the pay sites (which you may have already seen):
John Thomas Wallander (Cadwallander), born 15 May 1820, Virginia or North Carolina
One son named: Stephenson Reason Wallander

If this is your John, perhaps we can try to find a Stephenson or Reason (surnames?) connection to John?

This person states that Mahlon Wallander (Cadwallander) was John's father and Elizabeth Douglass was his mother.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 June 16 05:37 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to all for the replies.

I have managed to make contact with someone who has knowledge of this matter, and it seems some of the Cadwalladers broke from the Quaker church, changing their names in the process. One used Wallander, another used Cadd. It makes more sense than a simple transcribing error, which surely would have been righted in future censuses. I don't have any more details, other than this:

Can anyone find the following marriage, please?

John Thomas Cadwallader m. Elizabeth Martin in 1845 in Bedford, VA. I'm told that by the 1850 census, this chap started using the name Wallander.

Cheers,
Bob

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 June 16 15:16 BST (UK) »
If they were Quakers, you need to look at William Wade Hinshaw's Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy--and, if they were married in Virginia, then look in the volume dealing with the Quaker records of that state.  I see that Anc---- has the book, but I don't have a subscription.  I'm really surprised that Internet Archive doesn't seem to have it online either.  If you find the books, you may find the marriage and possibly the date at which they were outted from the Quaker community.

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 June 16 15:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. I've just found a marriage bond dated 6th Sep 1845, Bedford County, VA for John Cadwalander to Elizabeth Martin, dt of Wm D. They wed on 7th Sep 1845.
I'd like to know their ages when they wed to match them to the 1850 & later censuses, &/or Elisabeth Martin's precise birth year.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 June 16 19:43 BST (UK) »
I've not yet found anything showing Elisabeth's age.

A typed page (not the original image) shows:
Cadwalader, Cadwalender, Cadwallender
April 13, 1799  Samuel Moody and Ruth Cadwalader; Stephen Martin, Surety
Married by Alderson Weeks, April 13, 1799
http://www.vagenweb.org/bedford/bedf-m_c.htm

Could Martin have been a common name in the area, or could there have been a connection between the Cadwalendar and Martin families?

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 June 16 19:57 BST (UK) »
John Cadwalander (sic) had a bride - Elizabeth Martin. I found them in a marriage bond for Bedford County, VA, Lisa.  It reads:

John Cadwalander to Elizabeth Martin, dt. Wm D.

I'm not sure at this stage if this supposed name change occurred, or if some inaccurate research has led to this confusion. Might need a DNA test to prove this!