Author Topic: Arnott Tartan in Argyllshire, Campbelltown  (Read 2397 times)

Offline Arnie991

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Arnott Tartan in Argyllshire, Campbelltown
« on: Monday 13 June 16 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hello
I am looking for the Arnott Tartan in Argyllshire, Campbelltown. My 4X Great Grandfather Donald/Duncan Arnott came from the area. He left in 1823 and Came to Canada. I would like to see if and what the Tartan would look like. I have found some online, but would like to talk to an Arnott that may have the colors and pattern. 

Thanks
Greg

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Arnott Tartan in Argyllshire, Campbelltown
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 September 16 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Arnie991,

It is possible that no Arnott tartan exists. I might venture to guess that your Arnott family were maybe not natives of Argyll but possibly brought in by the Duke of Argyll from some other area. In the 1700s and later, the Duke tried to improve Argyll by starting up industry and so he brought people from other parts of Scotland into Argyll to teach useful trade skills to the local population. My Patersons were reportedly cheese-makers from Ayrshire originally.

You might want to search the pages of the official Register of Scottish Tartans. https://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/index.aspx I would add this - beware of those websites claiming to have a tartan, a scroll, badge and plaque for every name. They just want to sell you something and you are not guaranteed to have anything authentic to show for your money. Those businesses are a particular pet peeve of mine!

If you cannot find Arnott tartan, you could wear another tartan connected to your family. Do you know of any other Argyll or Highland family connections to your 4x great grandfather?
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline Arnie991

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 September 16 01:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you Argylishiregirl I do appreciate the information. I agree some of the sights just want your money. I will have to look a little deeper for relatives and hopefully find one that has a tartan.

thanks again.

Offline IshMutt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Arnie991,
I too am a descendant of Donald/Duncan Arnott. My Great Grandmother is Catherine Ferguson Arnott. I have some of the family history dating back to Scotland and Ireland and info on the wreck of the Despatch when they travelled from Scotland to Canada. I would love to communicate with you and see what we have and what we can fill in family tree wise for each other.

Offline Arnie991

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 February 17 21:27 GMT (UK) »
It would be great to communicate with you. I also have some info. I am a Great grandson of James Arnott, he moved to Ceylon, Saskatchewan with his wife and children. is the Catherine Ferguson Arnott married to Charles Syer?

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 February 17 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Ishmut, welcome to Rootschat!  How lovely to make such a quick connection- and once you have made two more posts in here, your Private Message system will be activated, and you will be able to send ARNIE991 your email address.  Better that way, as if you put an email address on the open board, a moderator will likely remove it!  (Protection from spamming).

Anything will do in your 2 posts - Just a hello and a smiley will do it!  ;D

Good luck with finding your tartan!

Jeanne 😄
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline IshMutt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 February 17 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Catherine and Charles are my great grandparents. My GGG are Daniel Arnot and Jane Fyfe & Henry Syer and Jane Wright.

Offline Arnie991

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 February 17 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Catherine is buried at the Trail Cemetery  in Ceylon, Sask. The land for this Cemetery was donated by James Arnott. Eber and William were a big part of the Trail school in Ceylon. William is buried there. It will be great to exchange information. Do you know why Catherine decided to come to Saskatchewan?

Offline IshMutt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 February 17 02:06 GMT (UK) »
The original Arnot clan came from Scotland to Canada to get away from the famine. Look up The Wreck of The Despatch. Our clan was one of the few that stayed intact after the ship crashed.
Ann Harvey, her father and brother helped rescue them; there's a Canadian Coast Guard vessel named after Ann.
Some members of the Arnot clan went to Ireland and some went to Australia.