Author Topic: Glebelands Shoreham by Sea  (Read 909 times)

Offline enamay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Glebelands Shoreham by Sea
« on: Tuesday 14 June 16 17:38 BST (UK) »
Grace Eleanor Davis died at Glebelands Home, Middle Road, Shoreham by Sea in 1969.  She had given birth to a son in the East Preston Workhouse (Northview) in 1934 and admitted to Greylingwell Asylum shortly after. Was discharged many years later and sent to Northview. As she was institutionalised most of her adult life and had no family (son was sent to a childrens home in Chichester and later adopted) assume her burial was the responsibility of the local authority.  Which
local authority should I contact and does anyone know which cemetery she would be likely to be buried in?  Any help would be appreciated, many thanks, Enamay

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
Re: Glebelands Shoreham by Sea
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 21:49 BST (UK) »

enamay - these are just my thoughts. 

It is likely that with no family she was cremated rather than buried (sad to say the cheaper option)

If this was the case the closest crematorium is Worthing Crem. which is in Findon.  This had opened in 1968 so was a new facility.
Perhaps her ashes were then scattered in the garden of remembrance there, it's unlikely they'd have paid for an interment in a churchyard elsewhere if she was cremated.

Perhaps contact the crem. http://www.worthingcrem.co.uk/ as your first step  :-\

Other records could be with the West Sussex Record Office in Chichester but as this was 1969 they are likely to be closed so you won't be able to access them.

Others may have other thoughts...

suey
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 11:45 BST (UK) »
Middle Road is now in East Sussex being to the east of the River Adur which has always formed the boundary between the two halves of Sussex.  I don't know what the situation was in 1969, whether Sussex was divided in two as now or whether it was all under one County Council but in any case I suspect the East Sussex Records Office would be the one to contact. Worthing Crematorium is definitely the nearest one but Shoreham by Sea being in East Sussex adjacent to Brighton and Hove she may have gone to Brighton's crematorium or one of the two on the same site, probably the Downs one so might be worth contacting them.

I note from the web that there is still  Glebelands Mental Health Centre in Middle Road so it might also be worth contacting them.

Offline enamay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 June 16 12:12 BST (UK) »
Suey and Artifis, many thanks for your helpful suggestions.  Much appreciated, Enamay

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 June 16 21:50 BST (UK) »
Middle Road is now in East Sussex being to the east of the River Adur which has always formed the boundary between the two halves of Sussex.  I don't know what the situation was in 1969, whether Sussex was divided in two as now or whether it was all under one County Council but in any case I suspect the East Sussex Records Office would be the one to contact.

No, there has never been a single county council. West and East Sussex have always been separate since county councils were invented in 1887, and Shoreham-by-Sea has been in West Sussex all that time. 

I note from the web that there is still  Glebelands Mental Health Centre in Middle Road so it might also be worth contacting them.
good idea.
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 June 16 22:29 BST (UK) »
Well you learn something every day, I always thought the boundary between east and west sussex was the River Adur. Apologies for misleading folks.   :-[

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 June 16 23:16 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

Boundary runs down through Mile Oak in a slight west east diagonal between Southwick and Portslade. There have been slight changes over the years, mainly when Mid Sussex was made a separate authority for local council.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 June 16 23:42 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

A quick search online shows no result for that name, burial or cremation. The only Davis I found was Eleanor Page Davis cremated Islington crematoria July 1969. Even when I expanded the search from 1968/1971 no more Davis' came up.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)