Author Topic: American/Canadian Cousins  (Read 10955 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: American/Canadian Cousins
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 22:00 BST (UK) »
Georgina C Redfearn could have married Croydon - September 1943 - John Atkinson - 2a 1602  ???

Georgina apears with Grace M Redfearn at Northborough Road Croydon on the Electoral register for 1964

Georgina C Atkinson marries Arthur W Carter - Q3 - July/August/Sept 1967 - 5a 2619

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 16 June 16 01:41 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

So, 2 Grace M Snapes... one (sister to Dudley G Snape) was born in 1893,married Mr Redfearn and ended up in the UK.  She died there in 1986. 

The other Grace M Snape is the daughter of Dudley G's brother Bertram H Snape.  She married Mr Zoeger.  Looks like Bertram H Snape lived in Toronto.  His wife was Margaret and he had 2 children.... Grace M and Roy W (William Roy Dudley Snape).  I have posted information from the obits for this Grace, her husband, Roy, and Bertram H Snape.   I have also found the obit for Margaret, wife of Bertram H Snape.  She died in Toronto on July 30 1943 (just a few months after her husband).  Her name was Margaret Jane.  Her maiden name isn't given here, but it was in her husband's obit.  She is the mother of Mr E L Zoeger (Grace) and Roy Snape, RCAF Vancouver.  Interment Mount Pleasant Cemetery. 

Looks like the tree on Anc... that says that Grace Z... who died around 1975 is the sister of Dudley is incorrect.  Wonder if it is the same tree that is a bit off when it comes to years of death for members of this family??   :P

RK

Offline Rainbow Rebel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 16 June 16 06:05 BST (UK) »
Super information. It goes to show that even with a not common name it is possible to be misled down the wrong path.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 16 June 16 08:48 BST (UK) »
Looks like the tree on Anc... that says that Grace Z... who died around 1975 is the sister of Dudley is incorrect.  Wonder if it is the same tree that is a bit off when it comes to years of death for members of this family??   :P

Yes, same one RK - looks like owner is a Snape but no idea which line she might be from.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Rainbow Rebel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 16 June 16 10:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you "RunKitty" and "Sandra". I have been trying for a good few months to put together my family tree. My Mother had eleven siblings (so I believe) and I had just about had all their details apart from Agnes Catherine Gillies. I knew she married Dudley Gerald Snape and I had a lot of details of the Snape family, but I could not get past Agnes and Dudley's emigration to Canada.

It would appear you have solved it for me, thank you so much.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 18 June 16 13:58 BST (UK) »
Using unfo from the obits, you may find potential contacts throught this link to the telephone directory. Contact info is usually provided. Put in just the last name and city to start.

http://www.canada411.ca

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 12 October 16 15:52 BST (UK) »
1939 Register has Grace M Redfearn b 15 May 1893, restaraunt waitress, widowed living at 97 Northborough Road, Croydon C.B., Surrey.  Only adult registered at this address.

Offline whix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 01 December 17 01:50 GMT (UK) »
What a complete and total surprise to find someone looking for my Grandfather!
Out of curiosity I typed his name into google never ever expecting to find anything at all.
Having a unique name, in this case, is a plus.

I am one (of five) of Dudley Barrington Snape and Kathleen (Kay) May Brown children.

My dad died September 11, 1978, Mom moved from 34 Child Drive, Aurora, Ontario into a retirement home two years ago, she is in good health and just turned 90 in November 2017.

I inherited a box of old photos and papers of my Grandfather's when my Uncle Jack Sweetman died and there is nobody alive to tell me anything about them.
I have my Grandfather's Hudson's Bay contracts from the 1920's and his merchant marine log book of his voyages to the Orient. I have WW1 photos of his convalesce in military hospital from a shrapnel wound above his heart and a multitude of photos from his time in Moosenee with the Hudson's Bay Company. There is a letter and family photo from his sister in England about the distribution of his mothers assets when she died. There are a few photos and postcards of his time in Sierra Leone where I've been told he was the manager of a pineapple plantation. I have newspaper stories he wrote for Toronto newspapers and a newspaper article about renting lawn chairs at Cherry Beach in Toronto.
I have a business card saying he was a green grocer supposedly before he joined the merchant marines.

I have never met another soul (expect brothers and sisters) with my last name and know almost nothing of our background.
I can tell you about my immediate family but know little of anything else.

Are we related? I am eager to know more.

John Snape

Offline Rainbow Rebel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 01 December 17 07:24 GMT (UK) »
Dudley Gerald Snape (1886-1950) married Agnes Catherine Gillies (1896-1964) 12th July 1922

Agnes Catherine Gillies is an Aunt of mine on my Mothers side of my family. She was born in Cogan, Penarth, Glamorganshire, Wales. She died in Chichester, Sussex, England whilst on a holiday visiting members of her family. Agnes married Dudley in York, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

In my records I have two children from that marriage;- Catherine Adela Snape (1922-1989) and Dudley Barrington Snape (1928-1978). Catherine married John Sweetman (1918-2006), Dudley Married Kay Brown.

In my records I have one child from John and Catherine's marriage and five children from Dudley's and Kay's marriage.

My records are quite sparse for dates and marriage's for these children, I would appreciate any information so that I can update.

My Mother's family is very extensive and was mostly of Scottish and French blood. I have traced records in her family back to Scottish King's and Norman and Danish invaders a long time past.