Author Topic: Butterfield Family - Marylebone  (Read 2247 times)

Offline riholt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Butterfield Family - Marylebone
« on: Tuesday 14 June 16 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking for baptism records for John Butterfield born circa 1834 and Joseph Butterfield born circa 1826. John is listed as born in Marylebone in 1851 census. They are the sons of William Butterfield born circa 1826 in Middlesex and Sarah born circa 1804 in Berkhampstead, Hertfordshire. The father William died before 1851, the family were living in Marylebone according to 1841 and 1851 census but John and his mother Sarah moved to High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire.

If anyone can help find the parents marriage and the sons, or other potential children's baptisms I would be most grateful. I haven't had much luck finding them.

Offline philhythe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Butterfield Family - Marylebone
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 January 17 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Have not been on this site for a long time, from the information you provide this is my 2xGreat Grandfather some of the information before 1851 might be correct certainly the High Wycombe part is

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi
No luck with baptisms but there is this

William Butterfield married Sarah Glenister 23.2.1821 at Ivinghoe Buckinghamshire.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Certainly looks like the right marriage - a Sarah Glenister bp.29/5/1803 Berkhamstead, dau. of Daniel and Sarah.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philhythe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 20:59 GMT (UK) »
That is a possibilty the part that has always thrown me is John Butterfield living in High Wycombe with mother Sarah had a lodger in the 1861 census Eliza Milner who John went onto marry in 1862. Her two eldest brothers were baptised in West Wycombe were living in Uxbridge Middlesex in the 1830's. Why did Sarah & John move to High Wycombe when there are no Butterfields in the High Wycombe registers. Help Please

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 January 17 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Can I suggest you check which websites you are using? Because I've checked on Familysearch wiki and Ivinghoe and High Wycombe parish records only seem to be online for marriages.So if you just checked a website they haven't yet covered any baptisms,so it may be that the family are there just needing a trip to the record office.

Just a thought
Ciderdrinker

Offline philhythe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 January 17 19:28 GMT (UK) »
These are not from websites Bucks FHS which I am member of issue there own cds from Bucks. They have not got round to High Wycombe as yet, but The Eureka Partnership have on their site you can purchase written copies of the High Wycombe baptisms from 1813-1910 also Burials 1813-1910 they have also printed from Wesleyan Methodist Circuit baptisms from 1792-1919 & again the Primitive Methodist Circuit from 1823-1873. High Wycombe is very well covered. The first baptism in the Parish Church was 1893 to Sarah Ann who was 18 at the time who was the daughter of John (this is the John from Marylebone) & Eliza. I have to suppose that John & Eliza did not have their children baptised or if they were in a small non-conformist church whose records are now lost. There were Butterfields in Wooburn which is about 4mls from High Wycombe on the east side. The name dies out in 1729. The other problem with this as was said in an earlier email in the 1861 census John is living with his mother Sarah & future wife Eliza. There is no record of Sarah after this in High Wycombe no burial no GRO the only Sarah I could come anywhere close to matching was one in Paddington Workhouse in the 1871 census who was bn Berkhamstead   

Offline riholt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 August 17 10:32 BST (UK) »
I have John in 1841 and 1851 in Marylebone with Sarah his mother. She is a widow in 1851. You are correct that Sarah turns up in 1871 in the workhouse - I had not seen that. I have also picked up Joseph, John's brother in a later census as well as his marriage.

William the father looks to have died in the Marylebone Workhouse in 1842. He is listed as "illegitimate born in the house". There is a William b.1798 to Sarah Butterfield of St Botolph, Aldgate - not that far away. This looks likely to be him. Why he turns up in Ivinghoe I have no idea - but will need to check the original to see what his parish is.

John and Sarah may have moved to Wycombe because she was born a Glenister, and may have been connected to the Glenister family in the furniture industry who had factory premises in Wycombe.

Any other thoughts and insight are welcome.

Offline philhythe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 August 17 16:45 BST (UK) »
Wow I have been trying to work out that part of my family for 30 years the first pieces about Sarah I knew about. Joseph I had no idea where he went. I must admit I had not put the Sarah Glenister in Ivinghoe with the Glenisters of Wycombe the family was & still is a well known name in Wycombe. Where did you find his brother Joseph, my thought with Joseph either he went to America or Australia. With William bn 1798-1804 I went up to the Bucks Family History Fair at the end of July bought the Ivinghoe parish records CD, there is no baptism for a William Butterfield, there are Butterfields in the parish records. I will have a look for a Sarah Butterfield to see if there is a Baptism pre 1798. It might point to why William turned up in Ivinghoe. The other thought I had was checking out the Canals did William work on them to get from London to Berkhamstead.
Thank you for your help.