Author Topic: Lookup Request - sons of Capt James Willson 1739–1812 of Galgorm  (Read 927 times)

Offline Joan Willson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Lookup Request - sons of Capt James Willson 1739–1812 of Galgorm
« on: Wednesday 15 June 16 14:05 BST (UK) »
Capt James Willson (1739–1812) MP for Antrim and son of Hill Willson of Purdysburn. James married Sophia Bristow (1746-1791). Records show that he was disinherited by his father but lived at Glagorm (Castle?). 

His parliamentary biography shows they had two Sons and two daughters:
Elizabeth Sophia Wilson 1770–1851 who married Rev George Marshall
Maj Hill Willson 1772–1846 who married 1st Aramellia Sharman then Martha Fanning
Thomas Willson 1775– ? married a Miss Logan (first name unknown)
Eleanor Willson ? - ? who married Rev George Bristow

Could there have been another son - a Rev James Willson?
Did the family live at Glagorm Castle?

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup Request - sons of Capt James Willson 1739–1812 of Galgorm
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 July 18 16:55 BST (UK) »
I know this is an old post, but I came across some information going back a couple of generations which I thought I'd post.

Ulster Journal of Archaeology, Vol 8 - Question posed
WILLSON FAMILY.  Hill Willson of Purdysburn married Miss Lutwidge, and died in 1773, leaving James Willson, Hill, Annabella, Mrs Sharman; Elizabeth, Mrs. Rowan of Mount Davys; Eleanor, Mrs. Ward.  James Willson was M.P. for Down [Antrim] (1776).  I know, from family tradition, that he married Sophia, daughter of the Rev. Skeffington Bristow, and sister of the Rev. William Bristow of Belfast.  R.C.J.L.

Ulster Journal of Archaeology, Vol 8 - Question answered
THE WILLSON FAMILY OF PURDYSBURN. -- There is a tomb, with armorial bearings, in Drumbeg churchyard, having the inscription "James Willson of Purdysburn, died 1741, aged 68 years; and Armanella his wife, who died 1740, aged 68 years."  He was father to Hill Willson, mentioned by R.C.J.L., page 50, who died in 1773.  His niece, Arminalla Campbell, was married in the old Parish Church, High Street, in 1753, to George Black of Castle Place, whose son bought the Stranmillis property in the beginning of the last century.  James Willson was M.P. for Antrim, not Down.  A lengthened account of his parliamentary triumph is given in Historical Collections of Belfast (1817), page 134.  "BELFASTIENSIS" and EDITOR

Registry of Deeds Book 43 / Page 176 / Number 27806
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSN1-6ZNM?i=101&cat=185720
Memorial of lease dated 2nd Nov 1724 between Robert Colville of Newtown, Co Down, and James Willson [Wilson] of Galgorm, Co Antrim.  Colville let to Willson that parcel of Cullybacky formerly known by the name of Captain Hutson’s [?] holdings, also a parcel of land between that and Parkvale containing in all 122a arable and pasture and 26a o turf bog and 11a whereon grow some small trees.  All lately held by James Boyd of Cullybacky Gent deceased and William Boyd his son, lying in the parish of Ahoghill.  For and during the lives of Hill Willson aged about 16, Mary Willson aged about 17, and of Ann Willson aged 12, son and daughters of the said James Willson.  Perfected by Charles Campbell of Dublin by virtue of a letter of attorney from Colville.  Witnesses William Colville of Dublin and James Fleming clerk to said James Willson.