Author Topic: If I do a genetic test ----  (Read 679 times)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
If I do a genetic test ----
« on: Wednesday 15 June 16 17:54 BST (UK) »
Like many people I'd be interested in knowing a bit more about my background. So I'm thinking of doing a genetic test and would appreciate advice/recommendations as to which would be best!

The cost is not the deciding factor; I'd rather pay a bit more to get a result that tells me more (if it works like that!) But I'm female and I have no close male relations who would do a test so I suspect that may limit my options a little.

I do have a basic understanding of genetics but there is such a lot of info out there, and indeed on here, that my head is spinning!

What would folk suggest?
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: If I do a genetic test ----
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 18:26 BST (UK) »
As you have no male relatives to take a test that rules out yDNA tests.

The autosomal DNA (family finder) is most likely to be the best for you. It searches across all you ancestral branches so you could find missing one, second third cousins etc (provided you have some solid paper records). The test is only reliable for this back about 5 generations - but that is still a lot of potential new relatives. With this test you also get an ethnic makeup of your ancestry but a word of warning this is far from definitive and people often get disappointed with the alleged ethnic makeup that is suggested to them. This is probably more to do with the science being new and not robust enough rather than some deep dark secret lurking in you ancestry.

There is also the mtDNA test that just looks at you direct female line ie mother, grandmother etc and you  will get your mtDNA haplogroup but then there is not a lot you can do with it.

You can usually get the autosomal and mtDNA tests together.

One other test is National Geographics DNA Geno 2.0 test, but I don't really know enough about it. Here is a link

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/browse/productDetail.jsp?npd&npd&productId=2003825&gsk

If you do go ahead and test what you get out of it will depend if you are lucky enough to have distant relatives who have also tested who you might make a match with. Although you may not get much information straight away you could be lucky in the future and make matches as more people test and the science becomes better
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.