Author Topic: Is it possible to search the 1901 Census by Address?  (Read 7971 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Is it possible to search the 1901 Census by Address?
« on: Thursday 16 June 16 12:03 BST (UK) »

I'm wondering if it's possible to search the 1901 Census by Address?

I've tried, but perhaps I'm doing something wrong...

I've found an entry from 'The Edinburgh Gazette' for July 1899; which shows a 'Letter of Administration', (first stage in Bankruptcy proceedings) concerning my late Grandfather William James Wilson (1860 - 1937). It's the last Entry on the page. This shows my Grandfather as having two businesses:
A Drapers at Albert House, Church Park, Mumbles Swansea,
and a Painting and Decorating business that he ran from 113 St Helens Road, Swansea.

He didn't actually go Bankrupt, (to my knowledge) but seems to have dropped the Drapery business. On the 1901 Census William James and Margaret Wilson and sons are at 113 St Helens Road, Swansea.

I would like to try and find out who is at Albert House, Church Park, Mumbles, Swansea on the 1901 and 1891 Censuses. Is it possible to do this at all?

Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to search the 1901 Census by Address?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 June 16 12:48 BST (UK) »
The only address I can see on the 1901 is Church Parks Place, Swansea but no Albert House there, just numbers. 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 June 16 12:50 BST (UK) »
Many Thanks for looking Groom.

(I was just trying some lateral thinking on my elusive Grandfather).

I see that there is a current listing for an:

'Albert Place', Mumbles, Swansea. I wonder if that Entry should be for 'Albert Place'?

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 June 16 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

FindMyPast does have a facility for searching by parish/ street name etc in both 1891 and 1901 censuses but I think you need to have a subscription to be able to see the full results.

I am not that familiar with the area so not sure if I have the right place. The Mumbles is a village outside of Swansea in 1901 connected to the city by the Swansea and Mumbles railway, Is that correct?

If so there do not seem to be that many properties in Church Park, Oystermouth Parish looking at maps of the time http://maps.nls.uk/view/102342556, maybe only a dozen or so. They are rather attractive if you look at google streetview, your grandfather had a nice house. It is possible that one of those properties was also known as Albert House at some point.

There is an Albert House (in Albert place?) in the Mumbles, only a few streets away from Church Park so maybe there was confusion about the address? It seems to be located between William St and Gloucester Place according to Google maps.

I hope you have success in your search.

Kirsty

Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 June 16 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

FindMyPast does have a facility for searching by parish/ street name etc in both 1891 and 1901 censuses but I think you need to have a subscription to be able to see the full results.

If you don't have a FindMyPast sub, but DO have another sub (e.g. Ancestry) sometimes the FindMyPast result page is enough to guide you to the right page in Ancestry (e.g. by family name).

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 June 16 18:41 BST (UK) »

Many Thanks for the replies KirstyG and bugbear.

I do have current FindMyPast Subs, but couldn't find results for Church Park, Mumbles. I was hoping that someone on here might know exactly how to do it, - but perhaps it just isn't straightforward?

I did, (a few years back) try manually going through the Entries for Lower Oxford Street, Swansea on the 1891 Census on Ancestry, because my Grandfather gave that as his Address on his Marriage Cert in Swansea in June 1893. Needless to say... I didn't find him:-(

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 February 18 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello Romilly

Some Welsh newspapers can be freely accessed online and from The National Library of Wales.

Have you tried various bits of the address alone too.

The address might be "Albert House", Albert Place, Mumbles, Swansea, or two addresses starting Albert House?

Trouble is, if Church Park is an area place within a town or village, they are sometimes dropped in addresses.

A Google search threw this up, but I can't display it properly on this Tablet and it is later, 1914.
http://cymru1914.org/en/view/newspaper/4091936/4

Also try another search from the Natonal Library of Wales web-site.

Mark

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 February 18 21:38 GMT (UK) »

Hello Mark,

Many Thanks for looking, - greatly appreciated.

Yes, I have found the 'Welsh Newspapers On-line' Site a wonderful resource. There are several Articles on there relating to my late Grandfather, including this one from the 'Herald of Wales' in February 1897.

I was hoping to find something more about his Drapery Business in The Mumbles, but I think it must have been fairly short lived.

Cheers, Romilly.
Researching:

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 18:42 GMT (UK) »
The technique I use for searching addresses on FindMyPast which may prove useful is as follows:-

On bringing up the initial census search form,click on "census" under "census,land and surveys", on the left hand side.
This brings in an extra searchbox "Optional Keywords"
Type in your search term enclosing in quotation marks.
You can restrict the search using  any of the normal terms you are confident of,but initially "less is more"

Regards
Roger