Author Topic: Rhesus Negative Factor  (Read 22540 times)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Re: Rhesus Negative Factor
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 16:46 BST (UK) »

Both kids are negative....
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 16:47 BST (UK) »
The rarest blood group is AB negative due to the combination of genotypes needed and the odds of having a child with that blood group

My daughter is AB negative, a product of me being A- and my husband B+

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 16:49 BST (UK) »

I don't know how old your children are, but I think originally they gave the shot without testing the baby's blood group as a precaution, but now I guess it's cheaper to test the baby's blood group than waste the vaccine on someone who may not need it.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 17:00 BST (UK) »

They tested the kids when they were born so more than likely you're right and that's why I wasn't given the shot the second time around.

My doc said it was only as a precaution the first time...
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline Pamela21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 29 August 16 10:28 BST (UK) »
I am AB Neg which is the rarest. I have been trying to put together a family tree of blood groups but it's almost impossible as several in the family don't know their group. The two youngest haven't been tested (age 1 and 2). Two of the fathers' groups aren't known. Really annoying that blood group testing isn't done for everyone.

Anyway, here is a little chart which shows how you inherit your blood group.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 29 August 16 12:04 BST (UK) »
I checked with the daughter I had who was adopted and she is also Rh Negative.  I have no idea what her father's blood group was.

Offline LLewis

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 21 January 18 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Just responding to 3SillyDogs, I read the same article which thankfully did NOT turn us into Reptilian Overloads (Hahaha) or anything crazy like that - however, I did not agree with having the RH factor to be as common as someone having blue eyes or blonde hair, because there are so few of us on the entire planet, that was a terrible analogy... And, the Doctor, geneticist - or whomever wrote the article, got to go back and recheck the credentials - I believe got a "fact" wrong that we are less susceptible to toxoplasmia  - the research I've done actually states the opposite, that we being RH negative are actually MORE susceptible to the condition and several videos and articles that I've stumbled upon warn against owning cats due to this... So, I don't know who's right at this point, all I know is that I am certainly not a "reptile" and if I did come from E.T. I would say "Beam me up Scotty, it sucks down here!" LOL I think we are a "mutation" - never thought I'd be saying I'm happy to be a mutant! 😂 But, yeah... I mean there COULD be some ancient astronaut genetic manipulation going on, just for the plain sake that our blood type is so odd that I cannot "mate" with another human being who is not RH positive without the RHOGAM shot, but still seems too 'exotic' for me to seriously buy into... Much love out to my "mutant" brothers and sisters - peace - L.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 22 January 18 00:25 GMT (UK) »
I know I'm assisting in thread necromancy here but it was an interesting topic to read anyway.

My parents are A- and O+ with my older brother being A+ (Rhesus conflict with mum). When I was born I tested O- but when I became a blood donor it returned as O+.

It does make me wonder how many of my ancestors had a rhesus problem. I can think of one or two who had one or a couple of children and then nothing, or had childless marriages, but not so much ones that had one child healthy and then lost subsequent ones where any records survive to notify me. Then again, one of my families where I always wondered why there was only one child was JONES mmn EVAN in Wales, so heh.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 22 January 18 08:10 GMT (UK) »
I know I'm assisting in thread necromancy here but it was an interesting topic to read anyway.

My parents are A- and O+ with my older brother being A+ (Rhesus conflict with mum). When I was born I tested O- but when I became a blood donor it returned as O+.

It does make me wonder how many of my ancestors had a rhesus problem. I can think of one or two who had one or a couple of children and then nothing, or had childless marriages, but not so much ones that had one child healthy and then lost subsequent ones where any records survive to notify me. Then again, one of my families where I always wondered why there was only one child was JONES mmn EVAN in Wales, so heh.

Having one healthy child then no more is very common when the mother is rhesus negative.  If the first child is rhesus positive it is fine while in the womb.  The mother does not get exposed to the baby's antigens until the point of birth.  At this point the mother will start to produce antibodies against the rhesus positive affecting subsequent pregnancies.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others