Author Topic: Rootschat Toolbar  (Read 1965 times)

Offline Gnlgymd100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Rootschat Toolbar
« on: Friday 17 June 16 00:50 BST (UK) »
I've just installed the Rootschat Toolbar, but it's just showing as a blank line on my screen.  I'm using Firefox version 47.0.  When I check the Toolbar in my Extensions, it shows it was updated on 17/6/2016 (today, which is I assume because I downloaded it today).  It also says that it couldn't be verified for use with Firefox. 
Gordon, Carter, Lunie, Young, Pirie, Duncan,  Belgrie, Croll, Watt, Ferguson, Peat, Brand, Smith, Wallace, Middleton, Miller, Bell, Mollison, Gauld/Gault/Gall, Clerk/Clark, Anderson,  Grassick, Robertson, Niper, Kerr, Kinnear, Edwards, Low, Stewart, M(a)cDonald, Lamb, Petrie, Cowlie, Muckart, Tweedale, Davidson(e), M(a)cLeod, Stephen, Grassie, Mitchell, Whyte, M(a)cLean, Carnegie, Will, Robert, Fairweather, Hill, Reid, Steel, Jackson, Page, Murfitt, Bass,

Offline ringarosy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rootschat Toolbar
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 June 16 01:13 BST (UK) »
The Toolbar has not been verified by Firefox, they deem it suspicious and not to be trusted.

What can I do if Firefox disables an installed add-on?

If an unsigned add-on is disabled, you won't be able to use it and the Add-ons manager will show a message that the add-on could not be verified for use in Firefox and has been disabled. You can remove the add-on from Firefox and then reinstall a signed version from the Mozilla Add-ons site if one is available.

If a signed version is not available, contact the add-on developer or vendor to see if they can offer an updated and signed version of that add-on. You can also ask them to get their add-on signed.

Usually Toolbars are something to keep off your machine as they can bring along all sorts of things.
You can put an exception in if you want, at your own risk.

Read more here from Firefox which will explain it more

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/add-on-signing-in-firefox?as=u&utm_source=inproduct

Hope this helps.
Grimes Patterson Keeley -- Warwickshire
Hollis Cooper Solomons Hubbard Moses Merrott -- Bethnal Green, Hackney
Dunlop Grimes -- NSW

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 June 16 10:07 BST (UK) »
Trystan has created the RootsChat Toolbar Gnlgymd100, I will ask Trystan to reply to this topic for you.

:)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gnlgymd100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 June 16 10:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help.

Kay
Gordon, Carter, Lunie, Young, Pirie, Duncan,  Belgrie, Croll, Watt, Ferguson, Peat, Brand, Smith, Wallace, Middleton, Miller, Bell, Mollison, Gauld/Gault/Gall, Clerk/Clark, Anderson,  Grassick, Robertson, Niper, Kerr, Kinnear, Edwards, Low, Stewart, M(a)cDonald, Lamb, Petrie, Cowlie, Muckart, Tweedale, Davidson(e), M(a)cLeod, Stephen, Grassie, Mitchell, Whyte, M(a)cLean, Carnegie, Will, Robert, Fairweather, Hill, Reid, Steel, Jackson, Page, Murfitt, Bass,

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 June 16 16:11 BST (UK) »
It may not be compatible with your Firefox version, or with other extensions installed you have installed.

You may also need to close each and every Firefox window (not just minimise) and start up Firefox afresh to get it to work.

This toolbar technology  is provided and hosted by Alexa, an Amazon company. It was developed before Firefox required the signing of extensions.

If you do not trust the source of an extension then do not use it.

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.