Author Topic: David Buchanan family in Scotland before he went to USA.  (Read 1280 times)

Offline JBuchanan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David Buchanan family in Scotland before he went to USA.
« on: Thursday 16 June 16 00:48 BST (UK) »
I am a new member. We have traced our family (hopefully, the right one) back to James Buchanan b. 1794 and his wife, Helen Laidlaw b. 1804 in East Lothian. One record says she was born in Tranent. There is a couple in the Prestonpans Cemetery that matches.  Is this family connected to the ones you have mentioned previously?  Their first son was Benjamin b. 1822 and then Robert b. abt 1824/25.  Does anyone have any further information.  Thank you.

Janet

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: David Buchanan family in Scotland before he went to USA.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 June 16 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hi JB,

Not sure if we have a direct connection, I have a James Buchanan b 1794, but he was not married to a  Helen Laidlaw, but he was involved in a bigamous marriage , his two wives were Isabella Greig and Euphemia Thomson. Will do some searching, will reply later.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: David Buchanan family in Scotland before he went to USA
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 June 16 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi JB,

I found a Baptism of a Benjamin Bell Buchanan on 14 Jun 1822, to parents James Buchanan and Helen "Laidle" sic, in Dryfesdale, Dumfriesshire. Can this be what you have  found already, if not, can you please advise what records you have already. Have you got a record of Helen being born in East Lothian in 1804?

Tom

Offline GinaC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 June 16 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Janet,

The moderator of this thread and I are cousins, we share the same tree and ancestors.  The one thing that I have learned about researching our family is that all Buchanan's are related in some shape or form.  So with that being said, welcome cousin. 

James Buchanan born 1794 in our tree was married to Isabella Barrie and then married to Euphemia Thompson.  His parents were Archibald Buchanan b. abt 1767 in East Lothian and Margaret Simpson b. abt 1770 in East Lothian. 

In researching Benjamine Buchanan b. 1822 in Dumfries, Scotland - he was born on a different coast.  Genealogy research can be so confusing and entailing that trying to find the connections is hard, and then the correct ones are even harder.  Both the moderator and I can help, if you need or would like some.

Good luck in your search. We would love to hear your stories on journey and findings of your family tree. 

Warmest regards,
Gina

Offline JBuchanan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 June 16 01:44 BST (UK) »
I did find the baptism of Benjamin Bell - I think it is suspect for this family.  I did find a record of Helen Buchanan dying Dec 1840 b. 1 May 1804.  She died in East Renfrewshire where I know these people live.  What I know: This is my husband's family. His grandfather David Buchanan b. 1887 in Gorbals, Glasgow. His parents were: Robert and Mary (Anderson) Buchanan. Robt b. 22 Oct 1860 in Eastwood, Renfrew, d. 28 Jun 1914 Govan, Glasgow.  Mary b. 1861 in Glasgow and died 26 Aug 1913 - they had 7: Janet (Jennie), Robert, David Elizabeth, Allan George. As far as I know, all stayed in Scotland. David came to USA.

Robert's parents:  Robert b. abt 1825, d. 18 Feb 1870 in Eastwood Renfrew. and Elizabeth Allan b. abt. 1825 and died 25 Dec 1864 in Eastwood. They had 6 children: Elizabeth, James, Helen, Margaret, another Helen (first died), Robert.  Robert (father) married a second time to a Helen Deans Dick. When they (Robt and Helen) married his father was given as James (hand loom weaver) and Helen Buchanan (ms. Laidlaw). om 1865 om Eastwood. They had two more children - George and Charles Campbell Buchanan (1867 and 1869).  i have documentation to feel confident about this information.  There is some indication that Robert (mar. to Elizabeth All) was born in Dumfries (Lockerbie).

I haven't really done much in years. My husband just took his YDNA so we are trying to go back further.  We are also planning a trip to Scotland in the summer of 2018 so want to be prepared to look at cemeteries and records. 

So, you see I can't be confident of which James and Helen Laidlaw Buchanan are the parents.

Janet McDougall Buchanan

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 June 16 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Janet,

Thanks for your reply, lots of great info there. Welcome to RootsChat, hope our chatters can assist you. Will do some digging later on today, on grandson's school run, and taking niece to Glasgow airport after that. So will do some searching later.

Tom

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 June 16 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Janet,

Having built a small tree from David Buchanan backwards, and can reach Robert Buchanan and Elizabeth Allan, but cannot get any further back so far. It seems that our families are different, most of mine were based in East Lothian, most of yours are in Renfrewshire so far. I have asked moderator to put this in a new post, so as to be separate from the "Buchanan line from Prestonpans". This will stop others who follow us later getting really confused, all our posts will be on new topic. Hope you don't mind.

Tom Buchanan

Topic split off and moved to Renfrewshire.

Offline JBuchanan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 June 16 15:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Tom.  I do think his parents are James Buchanan and Helen Laidlaw, but you are correct - not absolutely sure where they come from.  Janet

Offline JBuchanan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 June 16 16:29 BST (UK) »
Tom - I can't seem to find where you put it in the Renfrewshire area - what do I look for?  Thank you.
Janet