Author Topic: Ross Family  (Read 8827 times)

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ross Family
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 June 16 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you once more.

It is interesting that both Alexandrina's and Jane's possible husbands were both Shoemakers.

Scotlands People web site looms closer. I wondered if you possibly could find what could have happened to the other daughter Ann Ross (born 1822).

She doesn't jump out at me on the 1841 census  - would it be reasonable to think she had died in infancy?

Another option that seems possible is that she was away from home as a servant and potentially then married an Alexander Campbell. The 1851/61/71 census at Nairn have a potential Ann(e) that may fit.

If you have thoughts I would be pleased to hear from you.

Alan

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 June 16 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hi again Alan, in 1841 Ann Ross aged 20 is a Female Servant with a Janet & Helen Cameron at Mill Road, Nairn, Jane in 1851 is 22 b Croy a Servant for a John/Jane Pearson and family at Tirhall, Nairn
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 June 16 19:30 BST (UK) »

It is interesting that both Alexandrina's and Jane's possible husbands were both Shoemakers.

Often happens that a girl marries someone in a trade and her sister marries one of his partners/colleagues in the same trade.  Also quite common for a girl to marry someone in the same trade as her father for the same reason - social access.

Anne Ross is far too common a name to track down with any certainty.  There are 4 possibles in Nairnshire itself on Freecen 1841 and she could be in Invernesshire, Morayshire or another county.  It is likely that the daughter of an agricultural labourer would have left school by 11 and be working, often away from home as some sort of servant, so not surprising that she is not on the 1841 at home with her parents.  Alexina, 14 is a female servant on the 1841. 

It is before the 1855 statutory death records so no way of knowing if she died before that date or not.  Will need some luck to find her.

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 June 16 19:56 BST (UK) »
There are 4 Jane Ross entries on Freecen 1851 in Nairn which could be her given we don't have a place of birth for her.  And Freecen is not complete so she could be on one of the untranscribed pages.

Addition: Family Search have her born in Inverness.  That being the case, the following looks promising if she is still alive:

1 Falconers Lane, Nairn.
Ross Jane, servant, U, F, 20, house servant, Inverness, Invernesshire.
in the house of a flesher and vintner, Duncan Ross with his wife, 3 daughters and another servant.  Possible relative?

Offline HmmS336

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 18:04 BST (UK) »
There are 4 Jane Ross entries on Freecen 1851 in Nairn which could be her given we don't have a place of birth for her.  And Freecen is not complete so she could be on one of the untranscribed pages.

Addition: Family Search have her born in Inverness.  That being the case, the following looks promising if she is still alive:

1 Falconers Lane, Nairn.
Ross Jane, servant, U, F, 20, house servant, Inverness, Invernesshire.
in the house of a flesher and vintner, Duncan Ross with his wife, 3 daughters and another servant.  Possible relative?

These are part of my wider Ross's I cannot say that Jane is or is not related.  However all the family Ross  births  I am aware of,  are in Nairn. 

This is Duncan newly married to second wife Margaret Cameron, perhaps that is why there are 2 servants?

Actually,  I have not found the death of first wife - Janet Bowie, but must have been between April 1849 with  birth of last daughter and Feb 1851- Duncan's marriage to Margaret!

Offline mitch601

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 14:13 GMT (UK) »
hi with regards to your ross family,i dont know much at moment but i do have my great grandmother jessie campbell(maiden name rattray), whose first marriage was  to a daniel ross, he apparently died in inverness in 1910. she then married my great grandfather william simpson campbell in 1915 in nairn. could daniel be connected to you in any way? areas are similar, so strong possibility. i  have yet to find a marriage cert for her and daniel  though. i only know this info as on her marriage to my great grandad her name is down as ross and widow, on her death cert she is edgar and daniel is listed as 1st husband.i  have no idea if there were any children between her and daniel.

Offline HmmS336

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 19:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

Sorry but I do not have any Daniel Ross's - I am not saying there are definitely not any - just that I have not found any!

:-\

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 21:26 BST (UK) »
Highland Family History published a couple of articles on Inverness shoemaker families in their journal a wee while ago.

Skoosh.

Offline mitch601

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 06 April 18 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hi I have a ross in my tree , but only through marriage. My great grandmother Jessie   Campbell's first husband was a ross, I had it as Daniel but we think now it is David. Not 100% sure. I know her maiden name was rattray . We don't have much more to go on than that apart fro. When she married my great grandfather William simpson Campbell in 1915 she states she is a widow so her david/Daniel must have died quite young. Jessie and her family were from roughly the same areas, ardclach, village of auldearn, meikle urchany etc . Sorry can't be of more help to you. I do not even know if she and david/Daniel had any children before he died.